Daniel
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

Amana fridge freezer XRSS287BB - over 10 years old. Both

Customer Question

Amana fridge freezer XRSS287BB - over 10 years old.
Both compartments are working, but it has become noisy and some ice is forming for the first time under the ice box over last week. Can you advise?
Expert:  Daniel replied 6 months ago.

Can you roughly work out where the noise is coming from?

Is it from inside the fridge or freezer or round the back?

Does it make the noise all the time or just for short periods?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The motor noise appears to be from within the freezer, possibly the upper area. It is intermittent - may last for several minutes or sometimes only for a few seconds when the 'motor' starts up. See pic of frost formation at top of freezer. Fridge and freezer temperatures seem OK.
Expert:  Daniel replied 6 months ago.

Thanks for that.

When you get the frost snow there then its usually the fan motor not running correctly so it looses its air low and the motor can go noisy.

Now what you can try is empty the the freezer fully and remove the back panel.

Behind there you will see the evaporator. Above this is the fan motor. Check theres nothing stuck in the fan blade obstructing it.

Then with it turned on press the door switch in for the freezer and see if the fan starts to run and see if it makes the noise.

If its noisy then the fan motor will need to be replaced and hopefully this will cure it from there.

Check that and see what you find and let me know.

Expert:  Daniel replied 5 months ago.

I see the question is still open here. Do you still need help on this?

If so just get back to me. If not then if you could remember to rate the answer that would be great.