Daniel
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

I have an Electrolux ER78311 Fridge Freezer (approx. 17

I have an Electrolux ER78311 Fridge Freezer (approx. 17 years old) and it has recently started to create ice in the bottom right corner of the Fridge - the ice starts at the point where the bottom glass shelf sits and then forms vertically downwards, usually forming in the salad drawer at the same time. I guess it must be from a water drip looking at the formation pattern but cannot work out from where! Help please!

Is the fridge and freezer still cooling ok?

Is the appliance still working fine other then the ice you have?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Ok not good news im afraid.

If you are getting ice forming there then im afraid this is down to an insulation fault. This is a break down in the foam insulation at the back of the appliance. So what happens is moisture passes through it and onto the rear liner and this causes the ice to form like this.

When this happens theres nothing you can do as the foam in there cannot be replaced. This is somthing that can happen as they get older. The foam insualtion breaks behind the liners and causes this fault.

Now it wont effect the working of the appliance. Its just gives all the ice in there . Sorry its not good news but thats were the ice is comming from and theres nothing that can be done when this happens.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I need a new f/f? Or will it continue to function (until I can afford to replace it?) and I just need to chip the ice off?

No you dont need a new yet as it will still work just fine like this. All you need to do is chip the ice off now and then thats all.

This wont stop the appliance working.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Is 17 years a good life for a f/f like mine?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
does anyone still make appliances of exactly the same dimensions as it is integrated and much as I would love a new kitchen that is definitely not on the cards!

17 years is a very good life for a f/f

You wont get another one to last that long now a days as roughly you get about 8 years out of them :(

Built in appliances are a standered size. They only make 2 sizes either 50/50 or 70/30 split. So if you have a bigger fridge and small freezer then its the 70/30.

But if they are the same size then its 50/05

So no matter which one you get new that should fit in the space you have here.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Are the external dimensions the same is what I meant - it's 50/50

Yes as they are all made to fit into the cabinets so you wont have trouble finding a replacement