JamesI
JamesI, Handyman
Experience:  I have repaired and maintained numerous items over the years, from fridges to freezers, radios to TV's.
75967336

My zanussi Lindo 100 keeps washing for hours, for example

my zanussi Lindo 100 keeps washing for hours , for example the user manual time for cotton is 160 minutes yesterday it took 230 mins with 5.2kgs of clothes ,in another instance it took well over 4hrs on the same cotton wash. What could be the problem ?
The machine is only 16 months old and only used once a week and twice at most/

Hi John,

When it does finish I assume thats without you interumpting a program, and it does show any fault codes or sign of incident (flashing lights on the control panel etc)?

In most cases this fault is caused by a faulty PCB, which is not recording the time of each cycle properly, so a pre-wash take 20 minutes rather than 5, or a spin take 15 rather than 10 etc.

PCB faults can be expensive to repair as the parts cost in excess of £100 most of the time.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It has been like this since day 1 so obviously it's a manufacturing / zanussi fault it's only used once a week twice at most

Its certainly not user error, with these types of fault they are no caused through usage, circuits can fail on first use or over years of use, the amount of time they run doesnt often affect them, compared to parts such as elements, pumps and motors which have a direct fault to usage ratio.

In this case your best option is to reach out to Zanussi on 03445 610 645, state the fault occurred within the first year and then they can advise the options available to you to organise repair.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
As I stated to you james its been like this since day one, I even weighed the clothes yesterday the load was 5.2kg , in the name of God how can a wash take 230 minutes to complete the cycle, and other times over 4hrs to complete with the amount of times I use it in a week.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
is there a filter on this appliance ?

John,

There is a drain filter which is located at the bottom of the washer, however if there was a pump fault it wouldnt drain or the pump would time out after trying to pump for 5 minutes (it doesnt add hours) it would also show a fault, if its just taking longer to run through the programme this is a PCB fault.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
well then the PCB was faulty since I bought the machine from day 1.
The drain you say is on the bottom is that back or front ?
because there is nothing on the front on the machine for draining .
are we on the same page you and I,?

There are a number of variants of the Lindo 100, what is the model number this should be shown on the inside of the washer door

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
ser no 55100387..

The drain filter is normally located behind a plinth or hatch which runs along the front of the washer, there is also normally a small gauze \ filter which protects the water inlet from partials, this can be cleaned by switching off the isolator valve unscrewing the inlet hose from the washer which will show the gauze then give that a clean with a small brush.

The number I require will be defined as the mod number or the PNC number.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
model number ZWF8144OW
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Type FLPH44361

This would suggest the part number (PNC) is***********/p>

Ok this model has a large drain bore so there is no drain filter fitted, the only user serviceable areas for this washer are the soap draw\dispenser and the inlet gauze for the mains water.

Neither of these would result in the washer taking double the time than advertised to complete a program, as such I stand by the fact this is likely to be due to a faulty PCB, anything else not operating correctly should generate a fault code which will be displayed on the washer by flashing indicator lights.

To organise repair you would need to contact Zanussi customer services, as this is a fault which is not caused by user error, and as such going to need an engineer to attend to replace the part (which from what you have told me is the PCB).

Zanussi customer services can organise an engineer to attend.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Well as I stated to you in the beginning its being like it is since I bought it, could you tell me what normally causes the PCB to breakdown..

If its been faulty on arrive \ first use its likely to be due to a faulty component such as a transistor or capacitor on the board not holding its charge and screwing the internal clock, this may be a case of just a fault component being installed, the component not soldered into place properly, it may have also had the wrong programme entered into the PCB at the factory.

Other causes could be due to the appliance being placed against strong magnets, being subjected to a power surge such as a power cut which could have incurred as part of product testing\quality control or during installation.

Finally the other causes could include miss handling, such as being knocked or banged about during transport or installation, resulting in a component on the PCB developing a fault or coming lose from is soldered track.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Now James as you stated to me that the PCB or transistor is at fault yet your convincing me its the PCB that needs to be replaced, would the machine even run if the PCB board is faulty? I`m not impressed with your replies after paying money for your advice I appreciate your have not seen the machine , but I have explained the symptoms / fault and you state its the PCB.

I am unclear as to what additional information your looking for, however you have stated the program is running longer than shown in the manual, as such the part on the machine responsible for timing is the PCB.

With respect I have advised what can cause this fault on the PCB, and that for it to be another component (eg pump, heating element, inlet valve) it should be showing a fault code on the washer.

In the absence of the washer detecting a part is not functioning, I can only conclude the part responsible for controlling how long each cycle runs for must be at fault.

More than happy to assist further, however maybe it would help if you advise why you think its no the PCB and I can help you rule out your suspicion.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
f its been faulty on arrive \ first use its likely to be due to a faulty component such as a transistor or capacitor on the board not holding its charge and screwing the internal clock, this may be a case of just a fault component being installed, the component not soldered into place properly, it may have also had the wrong programme entered into the PCB at the factory... You have not ruled out zanussi being responsible, are you employed by Zanussi ?

No I am an independent engineer of Zanussi, so I have no issue being impartial.

The fact you have stated the fault was present on day one in my mind would suggest you can claim under warranty, as the fault is caused by a design fault something occurred between the building, and the commissioning of the washer to generate the fault.

As such I see no reason why you cant contact Zanussi, and request a repair under your warranty.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
unfortunately I was informed by the shop where I purchased the machine that guarantee was only for 12 months so its out of warranty...Thanks for your patience . I will contact Zanussi on Monday and explain the fault . would you mind if I quoted your replies to them..

Hi John thats what we are here for, the 12 month warranty is only for defect after the fact (post purchase) they guarantee the product to be free from defect on delivery (if you read the small print) since we have concluded the fault was present on delivery they are still liable.

There is also case law for seeking compensation from firms where faults have developed due to faulty workmanship\components which are not related to Wear and tear, at which point I would contact the citizens advice bureau who can advise you of the options available to you.

Appreciate if you can rate the service recevied to date and by all means do come back to me if you have any follow up questions.

James