JamesI
JamesI, Handyman
Experience:  I have repaired and maintained numerous items over the years, from fridges to freezers, radios to TV's.
75967336

Hotpoint washer started making terrible noise when spinning,

Hotpoint washer started making terrible noise when spinning, then stopped spinning at all & sounded 'stuck' - some sort of cement like residue left on clothes through holes in the machine. Help!

Hi Trish,

This sounds like the weight which is a big breeze block which helps stabilise the drum when spinning has failed, and the partials have got into the drum.

Have you been able to get the washer door open?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Haven't tried that yet, but will try when I get home from work.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Is it worth trying to fix this type of problem? Or at 5 years old do you think the machine has had its day?

Once you get the washer door open if you let me know the model number (which is on the inside of the door) I can advise you the cost of a new weight.

Its not difficult to replace (just heavy) and it bolts into the top, the issue is had damage the dust has caused to the motor, pump etc.

From my own experience if you have noticed debris in the drum or it wont even let you start a spin cycle its probably at the point its getting to the point of being uneconomical to repair.

James

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thanks James, given the age & use of the machine & the amount of 'cement' dust coming through the holes in the drum I think I'll just bite the bullet & replace the machine. Your advice was much appreciated. Regards, Trish