Rob
Rob, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs. experience with a major worldwide manufacturer.
14831508

Bosch fridge freezer, 5 or more years old: freezer works,

Customer Question

Hi Bosch fridge freezer, 5 or more years old: freezer works, fridge frequently above 12 degrees, lump of ice on the OUTSIDE of the back, which vanishes v quickly if I turn the fridge off. After defrost fridge does work better, down to 7 degrees after two days. (And I think the drain inside the fridge has been freezing up for a few years, but that may be separate). Any ideas please?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  JamesI replied 1 month ago.

Hi Nick,

What temp setting do you have the fridge set to, a defrost is the answer in terms of getting the fridge to operate again as the issue will be due to ice blocking the duct which takes the cold air in the freezer and delivers it into the fridge, however, this should only need to be done once in a blue moon not every week\few days.

If the duct keeps freezing this suggests the fridge is set to freezing, or something is causing excessive moisture which is freezing in the condensation duct.

Let me know what the thermostat is set to and double check the fast freeze button hasnt been switched on by mistake.

James

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi thanks. setting is on 4 degrees.(middle of the range) Fast freeze is off, it's the same button as the temp control. Might I need to defrost it for longer? The last defrost was 24 hours but I left stuff in the freezer, which had only partially thawed by the time I turned it on again. Should I empty the whole fridge and leave doors open for 24 hours say?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
also, it seems to be running most of the time. Is it possible I have lost some refrigerant gas? if so waht do I do? ta.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
the ice has returned on the outside back.
Expert:  JamesI replied 1 month ago.

Hi Nick,

It sounds likely the thermostat has failed, a 24 hour defrost would normally be sufficient, and if it was cooling for a few days then stopped suggests there is a reoccurring fault.

The next step would be to test the thermostat, which is a case of stripping down the light compartment and using a multi meter to check continuity.

Should you not have a multi meter or prefer an engineer to attend, please provide your postcode so I can recommend a local engineer.