Rob
Rob, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs. experience with a major worldwide manufacturer.
14831508

I have a Belling classic 900 dual fuel oven. The main oven

Customer Question

Hello, I have a Belling classic 900 dual fuel oven. The main oven does not heat up. The fan works, there is a slight heat, although not enough to extinguish the light on the lowest setting of 60deg. The side oven works ok. With the main oven on when I went to operate the timer it tripped the main fuse.
Assistant: What's the make and model of your oven? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Belling classic 900 dft 3-4 years old I think
Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I don't know. Depends on what it may be and how difficult it may be. If it was a thermostat maybe
Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: This morning I tried the timer and it buzzed before I even dialled in a temperature. Also yesterday when I had the oven on, I tried to light the hob with the electric button and the switch tripped. Up until yesterday the oven worked ok
Expert:  JamesI replied 3 months ago.

This certainly sounds like a hardware fault, the thermostat doesnt sounds like its working normally since your seeing the call for heat light come on and it doesnt go off, so the oven knows its not hot enough.

Start by testing the voltage to the element when the oven is on, and let me know what voltage you have got going to the heating element, as it could be the element or the PCB at fault.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
ok, I will have to wait until I get home for that. The element is giving out a small amount of heat though. Presumably the element is behind the back panel. Where is best to place the multimeter probes for result?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Looks like my multimeter doesn't work either. I think it will be cheaper to get a man in.
Thanks anyway