JamesI
JamesI, Handyman
Experience:  I have repaired and maintained numerous items over the years, from fridges to freezers, radios to TV's.
75967336

Zanussi Essential 1200 (washing machine only) seems to have

Zanussi Essential 1200 (washing machine only) seems to have stopped heating water. Otherwise behaves as normal. (Is there maybe an internal fuse to replace?)
Assistant: What's the make and model of your washing machine? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: You
Zanussi Essential 1200 (washing machine only). It's around 10 years old.
Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes if possible.
Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I am fairly technically literate so a straight explanation is OK :)
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  JamesI replied 1 month ago.

There isnt a replaceable fuse, it has a thermal fuse which will cut out and reset itself as part of the PCB.

With these faults the majority of the time its the heating element at fault, you can test this by removing the back panel and checking your getting voltage across the terminals on a hot wash (after it completes the pre-wash). If your not getting voltage the next this to check is the NTC (thermostat) which sits in the middle of the element and looks like a bullet, check you have continuity across that.

Finally if the NTC is open circuit and your still not getting power to the element this suggests the main PCB has failed, at which point it would not be an economical repair as the PCB would be in excess of £100.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

James

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks James. No voltage on the heater element during operating cycle, but resistance across it is 30 Ohm. Resistance across the NTC varies with temperature when held in the hand. Price for a configured PCB is >£130 as you say. Before I go down this route, can I take it that no other components might affect heating? Also BTW the spin cycle seems to have got less effective over the past year. Ta.
Expert:  JamesI replied 1 month ago.

Whats the model number of your appliance (should be on the inside of the washer door)?

The fact you have shown the NTC and element are not open circuit this does point towards a faulty relay on the PCB, its worth checking the wiring loom, but 95% sure its the PCB.

Expert:  JamesI replied 1 month ago.

Do you require any further assistance?

Expert:  JamesI replied 28 days ago.

I havent heard from you can you confirm the issue is now resolved?