Daniel
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

I have a Bosch Exxcel dishwasher and it intermittently fails

I have a Bosch Exxcel dishwasher and it intermittently fails to complete the washing cycle. it gets as far as the rinse cycle and stays on it and will not go on to the drying cycle. Consequently it is running for hours and there is still water in the machine .
Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Bosch is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: The type is S9L1B (SGS47E02GB/56) and I think it is about 7/8 years old
Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: If possible yes.
Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I have cleaned all the filters , but I cannot see how to do anything else
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 months ago.

If you select a rinse cycle only will this work and complete?

when on the wash cycle do you feel any heat in there?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
There is no option to select Rinse cycle on this machine . There is heat occasionally , but not as much as I would expect,so I assume it is the residue heat from the wash cycle.
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 months ago.

The pre rinse cycle is the rinse i ment sorry.

But as to the fault here it does sound like a heating fault. As if it doesnt reach temperture then it doesnt carry on with the cycle.

Its possible the heater is faulty but another thing it could be is the control board.

Take the plastic control panel off and remove the control board.

From there open the casing and remove the board and inspect it. Check to see if theres any burn marks or dry joints on there. As the heater relay on the board can faile and sometimes gives a burnt joint on the board.

If this is the case then you can try and resolder the dry joint on there and see if this cures the problem for you.

But if the board looks ok then you need to remove the right hand side panel and locate the heater. Its at the back towards the middle. You will need a multimeter to test this. But you need to put water into the machine first so the plunger in the heater comes out. If the heater is faulty then it will need to be replaced.

So check the board and see what you find first.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
There is no obvious way to access the control panel on this model as it is an integral part of the front panel, so I cannot see how I can check the control board.
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 months ago.

You need to remove the outer wooden door panel.

Then from there you will see the plastic control panel.

The screws holding this on are on the inside of the door. So just remove them and you can access the control board from there.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I don't have an outer wooden door on this machine, just the washer door. Do you mean the ten (10) screws that hold the inside stainless steel back of the door to the front , because if you do does that mean I take the whole of the back of the door off to get at the control panel which is on the front?
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 months ago.

Yep thats the screws.

Then screws hold the front pane on as the back part of the door doesnt come off.

So when you remove the screws there on the back you can then remove the front panel of the door from there.