JamesI
JamesI, Handyman
Experience:  I have repaired and maintained numerous items over the years, from fridges to freezers, radios to TV's.
75967336

We have a Siemens Q500 washing machine.There's a burning

Hi,We have a Siemens Q500 washing machine.There's a burning smell coming from drum just as wash cycle finished last night.the smell went right through load of washing.What do You think might have caused this?
Expert:  JamesI replied 3 months ago.

The smell can be caused by a bearing or motor over heating.

How old is the appliance and can you provide me with the model number which should be on the inside of the washer door?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi James its three years old. kd code me252uax00
Expert:  JamesI replied 3 months ago.

There should be an FD and a E-NR number can you provide these please?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
E-NR is wm14y591gb/37 FD9411200495
Expert:  JamesI replied 3 months ago.

Many thanks please give me a short while to check your model against the recall database

Expert:  JamesI replied 3 months ago.

I have spoken with customer services, and confirmed the machine was built in 2014 so still under the 5 year warranty, there doesnt appear to be anything showing in terms of known issues with your model.

As such suggest you start by giving Siemens Customer Services a call on 0344(###) ###-#### selecting option 1 and getting them to arrange for an engineer to attend free of charge under your warranty. When you call please have the ENR and FD numbers to hand.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

James

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
ok,Damien just emptied the filter,it was clogged with hair pins!!! its clean now,do you think that would have caused the smell? perhaps it was burnig ,the smell only came at end of cycle when it was spinning.it took him ages to turn filter cap was blocked.
Expert:  JamesI replied 3 months ago.

The hair pins may have rubbed against the drum during the spinning to cause heat and give the smell, its unlikly them rubbing against the pump would cause the smell to the point the laundry is affected.

However if there are alot it may have damaged the pump, I would look to run it on a couple of rinse cycles, each time emptying the filter to make sure you have got all the hair pins out of the sump, once your no longer finding hair pins put it back on a normal wash and monitor it.

Let me know how you get on.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
thanks a million James,we we try that now
Expert:  JamesI replied 3 months ago.

No problem Christine, appreciate if you can rate the service using the star rating at the top of this page.

James