JamesI
JamesI, Handyman
Experience:  I have repaired and maintained numerous items over the years, from fridges to freezers, radios to TV's.
75967336

I have a Baxi Solo boiler. It makes a noise probably like

I have a Baxi Solo boiler. It makes a noise probably like the sound made by a heavy goods vehicle. It was recently serviced by British Gas. I asked the engineer about the sound and he told me that it is when the boiler has reached its operating temperature and is getting ready to cut out. He said there is nothing to worry about. This sound was happening before British Gas did the service. The sound is not not a problem but my wife moans when it happens. It is not there all the time only when it is about to shut off. It is a nuisance but does not bother me. Any comments?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  JamesI replied 1 month ago.

Hi Roy, its an interesting one I cant really imagine the noise our referring to.

If its happening as the boiler is turning off the obvious issue is the fan (potentially fan bearing) has gone and as it slows down is causing the noise.

Are you using the Baxi as a traditional boiler I assume where its heating the hot water tank rather than providing hot water on demand like a combi.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Just a traditional boiler. Initially when I first heard it I thought it was a helicopter some distance away as it is not vey loud. But the sound drones changing pitch up and down. I thought about a bearing but as the pitch changes I thought I would ask the expert before I call in a boiler engineer. the sound is only loud if you are in the utility room by the boiler.
Expert:  JamesI replied 1 month ago.

My money is on the flue fan, this is the only thing which I could see as changing pitch, and failing that the pump but would expect that to be making a noise even when the boiler is idle as it still needs to circulate water around CH or HW.

If you dont already have home care with British Gas it may be worth setting it up, as they normally include a free safety check each year.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The pump is totally out of the picture as it is in the airing cupboard and in fact makes no noise at all. As I said I did think it might be the fan because it is the only moving part in the boiler, please confirm if this is correct.
Expert:  JamesI replied 1 month ago.

Yes the fault does sound like the flue fan based on the symptoms you have stated.

Please rate the service using the star rating at the top of this page.

James