Rob
Rob, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs. experience with a major worldwide manufacturer.
14831508

My condenser Neff tumble dryer won't stay on. No matter what

Customer Question

My condenser Neff tumble dryer won't stay on. No matter what program setting I put it on, the dryer stops after a couple of minutes. The ***** *****ght on the top left starts on rotary iron and then goes straight to END after a few minutes. I also can't seem to change the amount of time I want the dryer to run for anymore. Can anyone please advise? Thank you Craig.
Expert:  carlday1 replied 2 months ago.

Hi Craig,

My name is ***** ***** I will help with your question. Please could you send me the model number of the dryer?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
HiThe model number R4381X1EU/04ThanksCraig
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hope you receive my reply ok.
Expert:  carlday1 replied 2 months ago.

Hi Craig,

When you start the dryer can you hear the motor spinning? Are you planning to repair the dryer yourself?

The first thing I would check is the belt is still intact, then I would look at the motor brushes to see if they are worn.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi CarlI would like to have a go at repairing it myself. The dryer starts fine but it just won't stay running. I was wondering if it might be the thermostat, it's as though the dryer thinks all the clothes are dry and cuts off after a couple of minutes. We use to be able to set the amount of time we wanted the dryer to run for, but now it won't seem to let us do that.ThanksCraig
Expert:  carlday1 replied 2 months ago.

If the dryer spins and gets warm but shuts off. It is quite likely it is ntc thermostat but it could also be a few other things.

I would start with checking all connections on the PCB they should not have come loose but I have known it in the past. I would also remove as much fluff from inside the machine as possible driers often get a lot of fluff buildup inside the machine.

Does the dryer display a fault code?

The NTC is available here https://shop.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/154166-tumble-dryer-thermostat-sensor

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi CarlI did clean it all out at the weekend and checked the connections which all seemed ok, but will check them again.It doesn't display any fault code. For example, if I set it to Extra Dry and press start, it displays about 126 minutes and starts working, but then it goes to 125 then 124 and the 0 and stops. When it is set to Extra Dry or any other setting on the right hand side, it always shows and ***** *****ght on the left at Rotary Iron. It then goes straight from Rotary Iron to finish.ThanksCraig
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
For the 2-3 minutes it rotates, even if i keep restarting it, the dryer doesn't seem to get warm/hot inside.ThanksCraig
Expert:  carlday1 replied 2 months ago.

Sorry a reply I sent you earlier does not seem to have sent correctly. Do you have a multimeter?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi CarlNo I don't have a multimeter. I have contacted Neff and they seem to think it will be the heating element. They said if it doesn't generate heat the dryer will switch off after a few minutes. What do you think?
Expert:  carlday1 replied 2 months ago.

I agree after you said it does not get hot that was my thought. I asked if you had a multimeter so you could test the element and the thermal cutout.

You may be able to see if it is the element by looking at it sometime the elements are broken or look burnt. Near the element should be a thermal cutout or more than one, sometime these are re settable by pressing a little switch on them. If these have broken the element will fail to work.