Kelly
Kelly, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Technician with over 30 years of experience.
11418111

My Hotpoint TDWSF83BEP tumble dryer has just stopped

Customer Question

hi ***** tumble dryer has just stopped working , Ihave checked the fuse and it is fine!. Looking for possible problem
Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Hotpoint is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: 6yrs approx Model TDWSF83Bep
Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Depends on the difficulty of the problem?
Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: no power going to dryer
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. Sorry to hear you are having appliance trouble, I know how frustrating that can be! My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

You have no power to the dryer from the wall or it just will not start?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
My Dryer won't start, power is live at outlet.
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

If you open and close the door, do you hear the door switch clicking?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
continue talking online thanks
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

Sorry for the auto call offer, I have no control over those. If you open and close the door, do you hear the door switch clicking?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
IT would appear this is "clicking"
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

Any humming or buzzing noise at all when you attempt to start it?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No noise at all
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

Do you have a meter to perform any electrical testing with?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
no tester
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

With no tester it will be impossible to diagnose with 100% certainty. However, the door switch is most likely faulty unless you find a burnt off wire inside. Would you like information for replacing that switch?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
please
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

Sure! Please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

Access to the switch is gained by removing the top of the dryer and reaching down. All connections simply unplug and plug in, making for an easy repair!

The company below handles the parts for your model but you will need to phone them for the door switch, it is not listed.

CLICK HERE

If you would be so kind, would you please remember to rate my service at the top or the bottom of the page before you leave today? If you don't, I receive no credit for my work. The deposit you placed stays with the site. You may post back at anytime with follow up questions. Thank you so much!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It is me (Garry) who asked you the above questions last night. Unfortunately I cannot get into the door switch - which is fixed between the front metal panel and the inside plastic profile. My question is access, how do you remove the metal front panel from the of the plastic profile inside the dryer?
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

The video below will help with removing the front panel.

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
This video is not relevant, the switch is located between the metal front panel - which houses the door (below the control panel and is behind the drum). This is my problem gaining access to pull it out and replace it.
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

Can you post a picture of what you see, please?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hope this helps?
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

No screws at the lower and upper edges of the panel?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Removed all screws but cannot separate metal front panel from inner plastic profile. Can't get the switch out
Garry
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

Peel the rubber door gasket back, any hidden screws under its lip?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Peeled of gasket, no screws this is very thin. Have sent new pic. of front. The bottom of section (below opening) is free but around the opening is tightly fixed together. What Next?ThanksGarry
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

Does it seem like it has adhesive between the metal front and the plastic bulkhead? There should be nothing else holding it.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Before I try and separate the two, is this normal procedure because I am hesitant as I might break the plastic or something worse
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Forgot to mention - could I be making a mistake and not seeing how to remove switch without this bother mentioned before
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

I have never seen one that difficult to come apart. I will see if another has run into this before.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi Kelly
Just got it out - with a bit of brute force!
Prised it out, pressed between the bulkhead and metal front panel to increase the gap.
Garry
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi Kelly
Tested switch and It is working properly
What nextThanks
Garry