JamesI
JamesI, Handyman
Experience:  I have repaired and maintained numerous items over the years, from fridges to freezers, radios to TV's.
75967336

My wifes tablet wont charge. when you plug it in nothing

Hi, my wifes tablet wont charge. when you plug it in nothing happens. It is totally dead. Not sure what model it is. it is about 18 months old. Sticker on the back says SM-T810 and 32 GB. Serial number is *****
What can I do, please?
Expert:  JamesI replied 2 months ago.

Hi Ian,

We need to determine if its the charger or the tablet at fault give me a minute to look up the spec.

Expert:  JamesI replied 2 months ago.

Its showing as a Galaxy Tab 2, this has a USB cable which plugs into it.

Do you have any other USB chargers such as for a mobile phone which can can try and plug the cable into, to rule out the charger?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi James. I have tried several different chargers, no change. It has been to two technicians who believe it may be the charging port, but no one wants to take the unit apart. Is it a click together or a glued unit?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
If we use the call me option, is that another £15 on top of the £20? These costs are ramping up!
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I see its an additional cost, so lets keep typing.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Are you still there?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Why are you not responding?
Expert:  JamesI replied 2 months ago.

Sorry for the delay in responding, I was attending to another matter after I hadnt heard back to my earlier question.

Please give me a second to read your response.

Expert:  JamesI replied 2 months ago.

You can discard the options for a phone call they are automated adverts and would incur and additional charge.

With regard to the charger, we should also rule out the cable, some times the cable can be at fault, have you checked using a different cable?
However if you believe its the tablet, it could be as much the battery as the charging port itself unless you can see obvious damage to the port.

Expert:  JamesI replied 2 months ago.

In terms of the construction of the tablet its not glued, its secured by clips, there is a very good video showing you what is required here, it can be done as a DIY repair.

Please let me know when your back at your machine and then I will advise you where you can source parts and answer any further questions you may have.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I cant see any obvious damage to the port, but looking on several forums it appears this is a common problem on Samsung tablets. There are a variety of external options, all of which I have tried without success. The next step is either to find someone who can repair it professionally, or, if it is possible to take the back off then there are still one or two options left to try, for example disconnecting the battery and reconnecting it.
Expert:  JamesI replied 2 months ago.

Disconnecting the battery wouldnt resolve this issue if its been like this for more than 24 hours.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Sorry, I'm quite elderly and cannot type very quickly!
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
My wife is in Canada, the tablet died about 3 months ago. I just visited her and brought it back to the UK.
Expert:  JamesI replied 2 months ago.

No problem take your time, if after looking at the video shared above you think this is achievable I can advise you where you can source the parts. However if you would prefer this is done by someone else, please provide me with your postcode I can recommend someone in your area.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The tablet is definitely not glued then? The last technician thought it was and another one said it is likely to crack the screen if you try to separate it?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
My postcode is TD5 8LQ. I will just look at the video.
Expert:  JamesI replied 2 months ago.

No thats rubbish, and just a sign they dont know what they are talking about. Have a look at the video here it shows how it comes apart.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi James, I have looked at both videos and neither of them have the same frame as mine.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
mine has a narrow top edge all the way round. The ones in the videos have a thicker rim top and bottom. On mine, the large oblong button at the bottom comes through the screen glass.
Expert:  JamesI replied 2 months ago.

The concept is the same, the T810 I assure you is designed to come apart.

I have tracked a firm in Edinburgh who can replace the charging socket for around £40, I appreciate this is a long drive though, another option would be to use a postal repair service such as the one here who charge £50.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
When you look at the back it looks as though there is an edge rim all the way round and the back and sides are two separate pieces.
Expert:  JamesI replied 2 months ago.

Correct the screen glass and the back come away, you use a special tool as shown in the video.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
They just use a pry tool to ease it away, but mine seems more rigid and less likely to pry apart. Do you guarantee it will come apart? If so, then I will try it myself.
Expert:  JamesI replied 2 months ago.

Though the video here shows you how to replace the screen it shows your specific model having the back removed.

Expert:  JamesI replied 2 months ago.

As you see by the tool there is just some glue which secures the bottom part in place which you warm up to free it but you start by using a plastic pry tool to free the top and sides and a card or other instrument to stop it from clipping back in place. The two things to take aware is one never twist the screen and two take your time, if you allow 20 minutes to get the screen off it shouldnt give you any issues, its when you rush that you can damage the screen.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
James, as I said initially, that screen is glued in place, it doesn't just pop off, as you suggested.
Expert:  JamesI replied 2 months ago.

Its not glued all around, its held on with adhesive at the bottom, it does pop off at top and sides, as is designed to come aware without cracking the screen.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The video shows that it is far more complicated than just popping it off with a pry tool.I think it would be better if I left it to a professional. The two companies you are suggesting, do they guarantee to repair this model? I say that because the two I tried so far wont work on them.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Is there definitely no glue or adhesive at the top side?
Expert:  JamesI replied 2 months ago.

I called up the firm in Edinburgh, and the online company both confirm they can strip the tablet down and replace the port.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I think it would be safer, don't you?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks very much for checking for me. Do you have the contact details, please?
Expert:  JamesI replied 2 months ago.

If you crack the screen it will cost you at least £30 in parts.

The online company suggested you go for their inspection option which is £20 here, just encase its not the charging port and its the battery (for example).

You can contact the online company on 01904 427793 or the Edinburgh firm on 0131(###) ###-####/p>

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for trying to help. We didn't resolve the problem, but I have two contacts that may be able to help.
Expert:  JamesI replied 2 months ago.

Please rate the service received using the star rating on this page so I can close the case.

I would suggest we have resolved the query as you now know how to repair the part, but decided to opt for a professional.