JamesI
JamesI, Handyman
Experience:  I have repaired and maintained numerous items over the years, from fridges to freezers, radios to TV's.
75967336

My Hotpoint Freezer FZFM171 was making a very loud burring

Hi my Hotpoint Freezer FZFM171 was making a very loud burring noise which stopped when you opened the door and restarted when the door was shut. Since then the noise has stopped and the freezer is now not freezing the contents.
Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Hotpoint is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: it would be 3 years old next month, the part is FZFM171 Hotpoint
Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Not me but my dad
Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: We've pulled it out and unplugged it and cleaned the back of the freezer
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  JamesI replied 1 month ago.

Is the radiator at the back still warm to the touch, and is the red warning light showing on the control panel?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Its been switched off, i will switch it back on again and see in a while if its still warm?
Expert:  JamesI replied 1 month ago.

Switch it back on give it an hour then see if its cold, freezing or still warm, and if the red warning light is still showing.

Then turn on fast freeze (button to the right of the temp control dial) leave it for a further hour and let me know outcome.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi yes it is warm to touch
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Red warning light not currently showing but in the past few days the warning lights (both lamber and red lights are flashing) has been coming on and a beeping sound after about 20 hours, i have at this point turned the temp to zero and then turned it back up to max. (reset the alarm) this stops the beeping and the flashing lights.
Expert:  JamesI replied 1 month ago.

Ok, it suggests the compressor is running and the fault sits with the control board.

Based on the model of freezer and the cost of a replacement PCB and the associated effort to get to the control panel, I do not believe this would be an economical repair.

A new PCB can be sourced from here.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.