JamesI
JamesI, Handyman
Experience:  I have repaired and maintained numerous items over the years, from fridges to freezers, radios to TV's.
75967336

My Bosch dishwasher AvantiXX is going through the cycle and

My Bosch dishwasher AvantiXX is going through the cycle and washing but is not heating its water and near the end posts a error code E04. Could you help me identify the problem please? Many thanks.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  JamesI replied 1 month ago.

Good afternoon David,

If you run it on a rinse / pre wash only does it complete the cycle without incident?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
it seemed to complete the cycle without incident. Does this imply that it is not the water level sensor and point towards the heating element?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks for your help BTW. David
Expert:  JamesI replied 1 month ago.

Sorry for delay in getting back to you.

Correct, this points towards a fault where the NTC (thermostat) is not detecting any heat being produced by the element.

A new element is rather expensive (circa £100) as it forms part of the circulation pump, you can verify the fault by checking your getting voltage across the element terminals when the dishwasher is mid cycle.

If the washer is older than 5 years, I would put the money towards a new appliance as the life expectancy is around 8, so other parts are likely to start to fail shortly after.

Should you wish me to direct you to the spare part please provide the ENR which is on the door rating plate, and if you want a recommendation for a repair firm, I would suggest D&G as they do fixed price repairs.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi James - the dishwasher is only a few years old (tho I can't quite remember when I got it) and I'd rather repair it than get a new one (if it can sensibly be repaired). The ENR is SMS40A02GB/03
The FD code is 9110 - i see online that this might mean it was made in Oct 2011 - so potentially as much as 6 yrs old - is this correct inference from the FD code? If so old, as you say, I will get a new one. Thanks, David
Expert:  JamesI replied 1 month ago.

The cheapest I have been able to locate the heat pump for is £130 here.

Based on the cost I would use D&G fixed price repair, details are here I think the total cost is around £180 but that includes labour, parts and a further years warranty.

You are correct in terms of how to convert the FD number into year of manufacturer.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
James - Thanks for your advice. This has been helpful. Given the age of the dishwasher and the cost of the part, I think I will get a new one. Again thanks for your help. David