JamesI
JamesI, Handyman
Experience:  I have repaired and maintained numerous items over the years, from fridges to freezers, radios to TV's.
75967336

I have a Neff integrated dishwasher which is now about 10

hello - I have a Neff integrated dishwasher which is now about 10 years old and has been running perfectly for all that time. Now it starts and runs but basically doesn't steam or get hot any more. In terms of the economics of repair is it best to say its had its day or start looking for problems like thermostat?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
just pulled the unit out to see what if anything appears obvious and cant spot anything via the side panels. IE no pipes blocked with gung.
Expert:  JamesI replied 1 month ago.

Hi Ed,

This is most certainly a fault with the heating element, the average life expectancy of a dishwasher is around 8 years so you have had good use out of it.

The element forms but of the circulation pump, and your looking around £80 for a new pump, based on the age of the appliance you will find other elements such as the PCB, inlet valves and drain pumps are also probably approaching end of life, so I would be reluctant spending any large sums of money on a repair.

With that said you could try and run the dishwasher with a descaler, such as the one here, this would clear any debris around the element and may buy you another years use out of the washer.

Do let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
probably worth thinking about but I doubt its the element as we live in a very problem free water area and don't suffer any scale problems in kettles at all. If its not the element (which I would have expected to trip the mains rccb circuit) then there must be a thermostat that governs the different heat settings on the unit. I do take your point that the thing has worked well for a long time.
Expert:  JamesI replied 1 month ago.

There is a NTC (thermostat) which controls the water temp, however a failure of the element wouldnt trip the RCD, as the RCD requires a earth leakage to be detected, if the element became open circuit it would cause this fault.

Start by checking the resistant of the element with a multi meter, checking the voltage going to the heat pump, if your not getting power across the element terminals this demonstrates its the NTC, however I suspect you will find its the element which has 'burnt out'

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
ok thanks for that. I guess we have had the life from it so its time for a new one... ouch!
Expert:  JamesI replied 1 month ago.

Do let me know if I can be of any further assistance and appreciate if you can rate the service using the star rating on this page.