Daniel
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

I have a Rangmaster Professional 90 and the heating element

Customer Question

Hi .. I have a Rangmaster Professional 90 and the heating element in the oven will not switch off
Assistant: What's the make and model of your oven? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Rangemaster Professional 90 ... about 5yr old
Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: if I can yes ...
Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 month ago.

So is the element inside the oven coming on even if the oven switch is turned to off?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have had to switch it off at mains in order to swtich off the element ... when I turn the knob on the oven the fan swtiches on when I turn the knob off the fan turns off but the element remains on .. the knob light also stays on
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 month ago.

Ok if the element is being powered all the time then its usually down to the oven switch which will have failed in there im afraid.

But another thing which can cause this is an earth leakage fault on the oven. As ive seen it in the past were theres a short to earth and this can actually give a power feed to the element and cause this. Its rare this happens but it can happen.

But normally if the oven element is getting hot even when turned off at the switch then its usually the switch itself im afraid thats failed and will need to be replaced.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
OK thanks ... is that a "big" job? ... is that something I could do myself ... or will I need an engineer/expert ..?
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 month ago.

Its a bit of a strip down as the front control panel will need to come off. But sometimes the hob top needs to be removed.

So if you have some tools and handy at repairs they try and it see how you get on.