JamesI
JamesI, Handyman
Experience:  I have repaired and maintained numerous items over the years, from fridges to freezers, radios to TV's.
75967336

I have a Bosch WAQ283S1GB/09 washing m\c and when try and

Hi, i have a Bosch WAQ283S1GB/09 washing m\c and when try and program it the start light flashes, no other buttons work, the door does not lock and no matter what we try it will not start, can you help please? Nick.
Assistant: I'm trying to find the right Appliance Technician for you right now. As soon as they are ready, I will let you know. Can you guesstimate how old your Bosch is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: It's a Vario Perfect and it's about 3 years old now.
Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: If possible but it depends what the problem is.
Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: The program time is shown in the display but nothing happens!
Expert:  JamesI replied 28 days ago.

What lights and symbols are shown in the display/control panel?

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
The program time and programmed options come on and the start light flashes.
Expert:  JamesI replied 28 days ago.

What happens if you hold the start button in for 6 seconds then proceed to select a program?

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Nothing, I have tried everything i can think of but the m\c will not start.!
Expert:  JamesI replied 28 days ago.

Ok, close the door push and hold the door in and press start and see if you still get the same fault

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Same fault.
Expert:  JamesI replied 28 days ago.

Ok this is pointing towards a faulty PCB.

A new PCB (which controls the washer and stores the programmes etc) can cost in excess of £120.

How long have you had the washer, as you may be able to claim under warranty if not I can recommend a fixed price firm who will attend replace the part for a set fee up front.

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
The m\c is about 3 years old now so its out of its 2 year warranty and if its the pcb then i'll have to think about that.
Expert:  JamesI replied 28 days ago.

Bosch appliances come with a 2 year warranty, but as you say with it being 3 years old it is out of warranty.

If you wish to proceed with repair your best option is D&G, they cost around £180 but will cover the cost of the repair (including parts) and give you a further years warranty for any further issues, more details can be found here.

Do let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Expert:  JamesI replied 28 days ago.

Appreciate if you can rate the service received to date, and do come back to me if you have any other questions.