KevinWhiteJA
KevinWhiteJA, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Worked on appliances for more than 15 years
70193065

I have a Bosch MAXX8 washing machine, which has become very

Customer Question

I have a Bosch MAXX8 washing machine, which has become very smelly. There is a horrible smell in the drum when a wash is complete, even though I leave the door open and wipe around the door and inside the rim at the end of every wash. I have tried all the usual stuff, cleaned the filter regularly, and more recently run the machine empty, or with a solution of vinegar and baking powder, and have even bought a proprietary brand, but nothing seems to get rid of the smell. Is there something obvious that I’m not seeing (or doing)? I am happy to call out an engineer, but don’t want to waste their time or my money if the problem is solvable at home.Many thanksLinda Sansom
Expert:  KevinWhiteJA replied 21 days ago.

Hi Linda, welcome to Just Answer... Front load washing machines use a lot less water than top load and, usually the inner lining of drum gets coated with soap grime and dirt, which becomes a breeding ground for mould. The bad smell is from mould and, all your washing machine needs is good cleaning and time to dry. I'll suggest you to use 1 cup baking soda, 1 cup vinegar and 1/2 cup beach or 1/2 cup enzymatic dishwasher detergent, and run a complete cycle on highest temperature setting.

Make sure to check whether your washing machine drains the water with pressure and, drain hose isn't clogged with gunk or kinked.

Once aforementioned cycle is complete immediately afterwards run a second cycle with a different combination now, use 1 cup vinegar, 1 cup of HE (high efficiency) detergent powder/liquid, run this cycle on highest temperature setting as well.

Also, try removing detergent compartment and check for any obvious mould growth or slimy build up, pour a cup of luke warm water in detergent compartment and scrape off any mould growth with a small brush.

Lastly, try cleaning inside of the door seal by accessing it from back of the washing machine, you'll have to pull out the dishwasher and remove back/side panel to access it. Make sure your unplug the washing machine or turn off the circuit breaker before you attempt disassembly.

Let me know how it goes... Cheers!

________________________________________________________________________________________
If you have further questions I will be pleased to assist you .. Please remember to RATE my answer Excellent or Good Service when you are satisfied....Thanks

Expert:  KevinWhiteJA replied 17 days ago.

Hi, how did it go?
If you have further questions I will be pleased to assist you.
Please remember to RATE my answer Excellent or Good Service when you are satisfied.
Cheers!