JamesI
JamesI, Handyman
Experience:  I have repaired and maintained numerous items over the years, from fridges to freezers, radios to TV's.
75967336

We have a Stoves Richmond 1000DF cooker and the bottom left

Customer Question

Hi, we have a Stoves Richmond 1000DF cooker and the bottom left oven isn't working at all - no light, no fan, and no heating. Does each oven have its own fuse? If so where would I find it. If not, any ideas as to what might be wrong? Many thanks
Expert:  JamesI replied 26 days ago.

Hi Tim,

There isnt a user serviceable fused, this sounds like the fault sits with the functional selector switch which provides power to different parts of the oven.

Can you confirm the two other ovens are working normally, and regardless what setting you set for the bottom oven you can get the light to come on or even the grill to heat up?

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
Thanks James. As per my question, the light and/or grill don't come on at all regardless of the switch position.
Expert:  JamesI replied 26 days ago.

Ok so if its dead, and showing no sign of life and the clock/timer are working normally as are the three other ovens its certainly a hardware fault and likely to be the function selector switch at fault.

Expert:  JamesI replied 26 days ago.

As its a high energy appliance its advisable to get an engineer out due to risk of electrical fire if the repair is not done correctly.

However if you would like to continue troubleshooting, the first step is to strip the top (hob) away this will reveal the back of the function switches where you can then check your getting voltage out of the switch using a multi meter, if your not this points to a fault with the switch, if you are this points towards a PCB fault.

For light, element and fan to be affected it has to be the switch, pcb or the wiring between the two.

If you would prefer me to recommend a firm to affect repair please provide your postcode.

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
Thanks again. I'd be interested in a recommendation for a local firm please - I live in Bath (BA2 5BZ)
Customer: replied 25 days ago.
It’s well out of the guarantee period. I will get some recommendations via nextdoor.co.uk, but if you have a recommendation too I’d appreciate it. Thanks
Expert:  JamesI replied 25 days ago.

The engineers in your area I have listed down are only covering Aga and Rangemaster appliances so wouldnt recommend anyone other than the certified engineers provided by Stoves, as stripping down a Richmond is very much different from a conventional oven.

Please do come back if your having issues locating someone or have any further questions.

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
Ok, thanks, ***** ***** some searching.
Customer: replied 25 days ago.
Hi, I've been in touch with Stoves and have booked an engineer to come out out. However, whilst speaking to one of their customer service advisers he suggested that the timer might be the problem, and it looks very much like this is the cause of the issue as a) the lower left oven is the one that you can control with the timer, and b) the timer definitely isn't working properly.So whilst I was happy with your answers as far as they went and I appreciate the time you spent replying to me, you didn't mention that the timer was likely to be the cause of the issue, so I'm going to ask Just Answers for a refund as I can't say that I'm 100% satisfied with your answers. I hope that's ok. If I could pay £5 for your time I would do, but I don't think there's any way I can...Thanks
Expert:  JamesI replied 24 days ago.

I would suggest waiting for the engineer to attend and let them prove the fault is the timer before discounting my advise.

However I do accept it could be the timer, but from experience its unlikely.