JamesI
JamesI, Handyman
Experience:  I have repaired and maintained numerous items over the years, from fridges to freezers, radios to TV's.
75967336

I have a 6 year old AEG DK4490/DK4460 extractor fan. A few

I have a 6 year old AEG DK4490/DK4460 extractor fan. A few months ago it just stopped working. I checked the fuse first and it's not that. The display doesn't light up anymore so I'm not sure if the Transformer has gone or the PCB, or even the display panel itself. Not sure how to find out where the fault is. I don't want to fork out for a new transformer or PCB if it's neither as they are expensive.
Expert:  JamesI replied 28 days ago.

Hi Roger,

The two most common faults that cause this issue are a faulty power switch or a faulty PCB, the display wouldnt stop the fan from starting, just not show the speed setting.

You can prove this by stripping the appliance down and checking the voltage going into the transformer is 230v, which proves there isnt a fault on the fuse, or power lead going to the transformer, then check the output spade terminals from the transformer on the PCB to show there is a voltage on the other side.

Once you know you have power to the PCB this rules out the transformer, you need need to check the power switch for continuity using the multi-meter.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.