JamesI
JamesI, Handyman
Experience:  I have repaired and maintained numerous items over the years, from fridges to freezers, radios to TV's.
75967336

Have a Hotpoint WT741P Washing machine - problem appears

Have a Hotpoint WT741P Washing machine - problem appears that when the timer sets the washing cycle as 1hour 10mins - it then takes around 2hours 15mins to complete the wash - we have seen the timer reset itself when it reaches 34mins back to 55 or even 65 mins - also notice that washing machine appears to be stone cold throughout its cycle ?
My wife is saying we need a new washer?
Any suggestions?
Expert:  JamesI replied 26 days ago.

Hi Clive,

Your washer sounds as though its developed a PCB fault, this is the brains which tells it how long to spin, when to drain, when to fill with water etc.

When these start to develop faults you can often see the timer get confused, it is possible this may also be the cause of the heater not working, but its probably more likely the element has developed a fault.

Before talking you through the options, can you give me an indication of age and how much use the washer gets?

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
Hi James,
As their is just my wife and self now, Children long left home, washer gets used around twice a week.
It was purchased 23/08/2007 so it’s just over 10 years old. Appears it’s maybe time to let it go into retirement and purchase a new washer ?.
Cheers ***** ***** help.
Expert:  JamesI replied 25 days ago.
Clive yes based on the age of the appliance it’s. It worth spending 100 on parts as the typical life expectancy is around 8 years so it has served you well.
Please let me know if you have any follow up questions.
Customer: replied 25 days ago.
Cheers ***** ***** Black Friday coming up so good time to invest in new appliance !!!!
Happy Christmas
Clive
Expert:  JamesI replied 25 days ago.
Good planning, appreciate if you can rate the service using the star rating on this page.