JamesI
JamesI, Handyman
Experience:  I have repaired and maintained numerous items over the years, from fridges to freezers, radios to TV's.
75967336

AEG integrated frost free fridge freezer. fluctuating

AEG integrated frost free fridge freezer.fluctuating temperature in freezer, from - 5, -8, -22. Also motor sounds more noisy than usual.
Expert:  JamesI replied 25 days ago.

Hi Sue,

In most cases, this suggests the thermostat is starting to fail.

To better assess the fault can you advise me of the model number which should be on the inside of the fridge near the salad crisper draws.

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
James,
Model number below. Thanks,
SueSCT71800S1
Expert:  JamesI replied 25 days ago.

What icons are shown on the display, and when you notice the temp of the freezer jump about significantly are you just assessing that by the display or do you have a internal thermometer

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
On the display it shows -5 for the fridge with the freezer part showing -18 and the freezer alarm went off and it now has the flashing triangle with the exclamation mark in the middle. We put two thermometers inside the freezer to check the temperature and they show different temperatures at different times.
Sue
Expert:  JamesI replied 25 days ago.

The triage suggests the freezer is not sufficiently cold, it certainly should never be above -15.

The fact the display is showing the freezer is warmer than it should be but its not cooling, points towards a faulty PCB.

How long have you had the appliance?

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
James,
Since June 2013.
Sue
Expert:  JamesI replied 25 days ago.

So the appliance is still got a good few years left in it yet.

A PCB would cost around £80 in parts, your then looking at around £60 in labour (depending on location), if you provide me with your postcode I can recommend a local engineer who can give you a quote. They will attend strip down the PCB and verify its not the sensor at fault, and the compressor is working as it should be which proves its the PCB.

Another option would be to opt for a fixed price repair model, this would cost around £200 however covers all parts, labour and then gives you a years warranty against any future breakdown, D&G who do these fixed price deals website is here.

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
James,
Our postcode is CF31 2PT
Thanks,
Sue
Expert:  JamesI replied 25 days ago.
Hi Sue based on your postcode I would suggest FDA Repairs on*********** however I believe they are closed today.
Customer: replied 25 days ago.
Thank you James for your help. I'll call them on Monday.
Sue
Customer: replied 24 days ago.
James,
Just to clarify that FDA Repairs cover the South Wales area?
Sue
Expert:  JamesI replied 24 days ago.
they cover your area, do let me know if they are unable to come out to you in a reasonable time frame.
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
James,
Regrettably, despite promising to come Monday afternoon, the person from FDA has not turned up nor returned my phone call to ask where he is? Do you have the name of an alternative engineer? Thanks SueThanks Sue
Expert:  JamesI replied 20 days ago.

I am very sorry to hear you have been let down by FDA Sue, I will be passing on your disappointment, and think twice before recommending them again.

D&G would still be my first recommendation (as above), however in terms of a local firm the only other I have listed as 'recommended' is CRS on 01656 760675, if you call them they can normally give you a quote before attending.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Thanks James,
I think I'll go with D and G.
Sue