JamesI
JamesI, Handyman
Experience:  I have repaired and maintained numerous items over the years, from fridges to freezers, radios to TV's.
75967336

I have a DysonDC33. The brushes don't seem to turn. Is this

I have a DysonDC33. The brushes don't seem to turn. Is this a common problem and is there anything i can check to resolve problem.
Expert:  JamesI replied 21 days ago.

Hi Katy are you referring to the brushes in the agitator?

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
The agitator? Not sure what that is. I mean the brushes at bottom that come in cOntact with floor.
Expert:  JamesI replied 21 days ago.

Yes the agitator is the name for the brush head which makes contact with the floor.

To confirm you have removed the brushes which are not rotating, inspected them and cant see any issue, put them back but they dont appear to be rotating?

Do the brushes turn by hand once put back in the floor head?

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
they do
Expert:  JamesI replied 21 days ago.

This is certainly not a common issue however suggests a fault with the air flow around the mechanism, as its the air flow (vacuum) which causes the agitator brush to rotate.

How long have you have your DC33? If you place your hand at the end of the nozzle (without the head connected) is there sufficient suction?

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
anything else I can do?
Expert:  JamesI replied 21 days ago.

How old is the DC33, and is there sufficient suction?

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Suction seems ok, the dyson is about 6/7 years old
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
suction is ok
Expert:  JamesI replied 21 days ago.

Can you confirm your have the upright version of the DC33, and not the company DC33C, I ask as changing the brushes on the upright one is very involved as you have to remove the drive belt.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
the upright one dc33.. i didn't move belt just removed dust around brushes and put them back
Expert:  JamesI replied 21 days ago.

Right when you removed the cover in-front of the brushes could you see the belt which is about 1/2 inch wide, if not it suggests that has failed and the cause of your issue.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
the belt was there and in tact
Expert:  JamesI replied 21 days ago.

Ok, so if the brushes are spinning freely by hand, the belt is in tact it has do be the clutch or motor.

The clutch is most likely fault and can be found here for around £20, the video here shows how to replace it 26 mins into the video.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Thank you I'll try that
Expert:  JamesI replied 21 days ago.

Appreciate if you can rate the service received using the star rating on this page, if you have any further questions do come back to me.