JamesI
JamesI, Handyman
Experience:  I have repaired and maintained numerous items over the years, from fridges to freezers, radios to TV's.
75967336

I am replacing a Drayton Tempus Six controller on my old

I am replacing a Drayton Tempus Six controller on my old Worcester Danemoor 20/25 oil boiler with a Wiser Thermostat Kit One. Everything hooks up fine wirelessly (app, thermostat, wallplate) but the boiler doesn't fire up. I believe it is because of the wiring on the backplate.
Currently there are three sets of wires going into the back plate - mains, boiler and pump.
They are wired as follows:
Mains - N, L and Earth
Boiler - N, 4 and Earth
Pump - N, 4 and Earth
This works fine with the old Tempus Six, but does not work with the new system.
What is the correct way of wiring it? - it's just for heating (no hot water) and all I need is the boiler and pump to switch on simultaneously when the app tells them.
The Drayton manual suggests linking from the L Terminal to Terminal 1. The other terminals are labelled :
1 (COM)
2 (OFF)
3 (ON)
and 4 (nothing!)
Assistant: How long has this been going on? And how severe is the problem?
Customer: It's not a problem per se in that the old controller works fine, it's just that I want the new Smart one working instead!
Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes.
Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I don't think so. I'm reasonably compus mentis and a competent DIYer.
Expert:  JamesI replied 23 days ago.
Try and shift wires in terminal block 4 to terminal block 3 on the back plate, this should then result in both pump and boiler startin when the timer comes on.
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
HiI've tried that and it doesn't work either, I'm afraid. It also seems the app isn't talking to the Heat Hub in terms of controlling it. Everything recognises everything else is there - app talks to thermostat and vice versa, app recognises the Heat Hub exists, Heat Hub setup light acknowledges it's all connected but it won't switch the boiler/pump on. Maybe it's just a rubbish system!Paul
Expert:  JamesI replied 22 days ago.

Hi Paul,

Forget the app and thermostat, and get the hub working/talking to the boiler/pump.

On the hub there should be a manual override button for CH called Heating, press and hold that for about 5 seconds, the light above should illuminate you want to then get to a position where the CH light on the hub is on and the boiler is running, and by pressing the CH button again the light and boiler both go off.

Once that is working you can then look at getting the thermostat/app to talk to the hub.

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Hi againThe boiler and pump now work when I press the CH override switch - this boosts the heating for two hours and overrides any settings. The CH light comes on solid green and when the boiler reaches temperature it flashes green. I have tried this several times today. Sometimes both boiler and pump start, sometimes it is only the pump. Pressing it a second time stops everything and the light goes out. The setup light on the controller maintains a steady green which suggests it is connected to the router and should be working normally. I can not control anything from the app although I can set schedules, it will tell me the thermostat temperature and I can alter settings and so on - just no connection to the controller to actually make the heating work. Thanks.
Paul
Expert:  JamesI replied 22 days ago.
Ok so it sounds like the wiring to the boiler and pump are fine, to confirm is this with the the wires on terminal 3 or 4?
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
The wires are on Terminal 3.
Expert:  JamesI replied 21 days ago.

Great thats what I would expect, the boiler will start based on the temp of the water being circulated around by the pump.

I would be inclined to reset the hub and pair it to the router again by connecting your tablet/phone directly to the hub, re-add the zones/TRV's, to me it seems to have not had the account setup properly or having issues connecting to the internet from your router.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Thanks. I have reset things a couple of times with no effect. However I have yet to do a full factory reset, I'm just waiting for some details from the company about that then I'll give that a try. I hope to get it done by tomorrow, maybe tonight if I can fit it in, I'll keep you posted.
Expert:  JamesI replied 21 days ago.

Great will await to hear back from you.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Hi againEverything seems to be working fine now - a factory reset seems to have sorted it. I've added a Wiser Radiator Valve just now and it has gone onto the system very easily. Thanks for your help.Paul
Expert:  JamesI replied 19 days ago.

Excellent new Paul,

Please rate the service received using the star rating on this page.