Daniel
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

I have a Siemens Refrigerator/freezer K132VA40Gb/01 unit

Customer Question

Hi there,I have a Siemens Refrigerator/freezer K132VA40Gb/01 unit build into my kitchen and it keeps making really loud noises that can only be stopped when we turn off/om the motor attached to the inside roof of the unit. Is this normal for this type of unit? Is there anything we can do to stop this permanently?Cheers,
Andy
Expert:  Daniel replied 21 days ago.

How old is the appliance?

Has it only just started doing this?

Also is it still cooling ok?

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Hi Daniel,
The unit is approx 7-10 years old, I'm not sure exactly as I have just moved into the flat with it already included...
I've attached all the details go the spec on an image here, printed on the inside of the fridge - does this help at all?It's been doing it the whole time we've owned it (we moved in 4 months ago), sometimes it's quieter and sometimes it's very loud...It seems to be cooling fine, always a good cold temperature.Cheers,
Expert:  Daniel replied 21 days ago.

Ok this is what they call a static appliance. IE its not frost free so it only has a compressor that makes a noise.

So if the appliance is noisy then im afraid its the compressor itself thats fault as thats the only thing in there that can make a noise. But this isnt going to be a cheap fix as a compressor is roughly about the £250 mark to replace.

Now ive seen them go like this and it works just fine but is noisy. So you can either just see how it goes as it doesnt mean its going to fail it will just be noisy. Or replace it as changing the compressor just isnt worth it im afraid.

Sorry its not good news but if you need anymore info just get back to me.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Thanks for the honest feedback!Cheers,
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Hey Daniel.Sorry one quick follow up point!. It does seem to be building up ice at the back. Do you think it's too cold or something?Cheers,
Expert:  Daniel replied 21 days ago.

Is the ice in the fridge?

If so then this is normal as thats how these fridges work. It will ice up and then melt and so on.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Ok great - thanks Daniel!
Expert:  Daniel replied 21 days ago.

Your welcome