JamesI
JamesI, Handyman
Experience:  I have repaired and maintained numerous items over the years, from fridges to freezers, radios to TV's.
75967336

I have a Zanussi washer dryer zwd 81463w. When I turn the

I have a Zanussi washer dryer zwd 81463w. When I turn the dial to the program and press start the machine locks the door, starts to fill, then clicks the timer down to 1 minute then 0 and doesn't continue.
Expert:  JamesI replied 20 days ago.

This often suggests a fault with the inlet valve and aqua sensor.

Can you see water in the drum when it stops after a minute?

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Expert:  JamesI replied 20 days ago.
How full is the drum of water?
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Tiny bit in the bottom. Although the machine did one cycle of washing it has now stopped again.
Expert:  JamesI replied 19 days ago.

This is pointing toward a water inlet failure.

Start by checking the jets above the soap draw are not blocked (see video here), run a rinse cycle and see if the issue persists. If it does its looking likely the issue is with the inlet valve which lets water into the washer.

Let me know the outcome of running the rinse programme.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Soap drawer is clean. When I turn the dial to rinse or any other program the machine locks the door then displays the program time length then displays 1 then o without actually doing anything now. I can hear clicking but nothing actually happens.
Expert:  JamesI replied 19 days ago.

Ok, switch the appliance off and set it to a drain only or spin only program and see if that completes without incident, if it does it points to a faulty inlet if it doesnt your looking at a faulty PCB.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Hi the machine is still not starting up. Sorry to sound thick what is a PCB and why am I not getting any error codes?
Expert:  JamesI replied 19 days ago.

The PCB is the printed circuit board and the brains of the washer, not all models in the Zanussi range put out fault codes. Zanussi appliances are basic in nature (which helps keep the cost of parts down), but it does mean the fault codes cant always be relied upon as if one sensor indicates there is water and another there isnt (in the case of it half filling) it often doesnt throw a fault code, based on the nature of the issue I think its likely to be the PCB.

On checking for spares its showing the parts are obsolete, however the typical cost of a pre-programmed PCB is in excess of £100, based on parts being obsolete, the age of the appliance and nature of the fault I would suggest your best of replacing the unit rather than repair, however if you would sooner repair then opt for a fixed price repair service from a firm such as D&G, details can be found here.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Thank you very much for your advice.