Rob
Rob, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs. experience with a major worldwide manufacturer.
14831508

10 year old Rangemaster 3 electric ovens, 5 gas hob. I was

Customer Question

10 year old Rangemaster 3 electric ovens, 5 gas hob. I was cleaning it ( I had removed the door) and was aware that the element was staring to heat up. When everything put back together, the element heats up, the oven light stays on but the fan turns on & off with the switch. Only one switch for fan & heat. any ideas?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  JamesI replied 1 month ago.

So your saying the element and light stay permanently on and you cant turn them off using the switch?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
correct. i've paid £20 so far and haven't got an answer. I can't pay another £15 at this point.
Expert:  JamesI replied 1 month ago.

Ok it suggests there is a faulty relay - this is certainly a hardware failure, are you comfortable stripping the range down or would you like me to recommend an engineer, as you will need to go right back to the control switch and checking the wiring to the PCB?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks. I should say again that the switch works the fan on & off perfectly OK.
I was a mechanic for 30 years so I'm fairly sure I can do the job. hope so anyway.
Expert:  JamesI replied 1 month ago.

Strip the top away, to access the rear of the control you then need to locate the wires coming from the element first of all and follow them back to the PCB.

Then check the wires going to the PCB to see if they are open or closed circuit when the fan is off.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am not with the range at the moment. I will be back with it around 1.30pm. I will recontact you then.
Meanwhile, if you have any other things I could look at the same time please let me know.
Expert:  JamesI replied 1 month ago.

Just wanted to follow up to see how you got on

Expert:  JamesI replied 1 month ago.

Hi Martin, I havent heard anything from you in a while, do you need any further assistance?

Expert:  JamesI replied 1 month ago.

I havent heard from you in some time, Do you require any further assistance?