JamesI
JamesI, Handyman
Experience:  I have repaired and maintained numerous items over the years, from fridges to freezers, radios to TV's.
75967336

My Panasonic 32" TV will not turn from standby. I tried

My Panasonic 32" TV will not turn from standby. I tried replacing the plug fuse, but as the set is notrespon ing to any of the buttons on the side I think it is more serious. It happened
very suddenly without warning on Wednesday. I noticed a very slight hesitation in the changing from red to green on Tuesday but ignored it. Can you please let me know what is the next step? The TV bought in 2008.

Hi Roger, with the unit plugged in is the red standby light showing, and when you go to turn it on via remote or buttons tot he side does the light start to flash?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Whhen I use the remote it flashes as normal before turning green ( TV button the as it normally would) But when I press the TV utton the side there is no flashing at all.

Ok this points towards a main power board failure on the TV, before concluding this is a hardware fault, unplug the TV hold in the power button on the TV with it unplugged for 30 seconds, wait a further 30 seconds then plug it back in and see if the Tv will come back on.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I did what you suggested but there was no change. The red light came on but when I pressed the remote it only flashed as before and did not change to green.
I am sorry for the delay in replying, because there was no way of replying to your question re telephoning you, unless I was
going to spend even more money (£15) and I did not want to do that as I haven't a mobile phone and the lanline was in a different room wich would have entailed a lot of rushing around which I did not want to do.

Not a problem Roger, responding here is fine.

So based on the troubleshooting so far and the fact the light is not flashing (other than when using the remote) this does confirm my suspicion the fault sits with the power board.

The average life expectancy of a TV is around 8 years, so this one has done well, based on the cost of buying a new 32 inch TV such as this one here for £220 at PC World, I would suggest you put the money towards a replacement rather than repair, as there is a good chance the main board will fail within 18 months of replacing the power board.

If you would like to proceed with repair, which I would estimate would be around £120 (but very dependent on location), please provide me with your postcode and I can recommend a local firm.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I just wanted to say to James that I have gone along with his suggestionm of buying a new TV, the one he suggested, so have placed an order with Currys PC World and they will be delivering about the midddle of next week. It was made so easy by the link he left me to use. What amazes me is that he thinks that the usual length of life of a TV is not much more than 8 years, when I used to expect a great deal longer than that. When compared with repair costs a new set seems to be a lot cheaper than they used to be. Tyhank you for your help and advice. Roger.
Appreciate the feedback Roger, 8 years tends to be the going rate for most appliances gone are the days when washers and TV can be repaired for a fraction of the purchase price or expected to be kept for decades. By making items cheaper the component quality is of a poorer standard and hence prone to failure earlier on, part of our throw away society I am afraid.
Which TV did you opt for in the end?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Roger. SAMSUNG T32E310 32" LED which you sent to us, making it so easy to order straigtaway and it has just been delivered. I haven't got as far as taking it out of the box yet but it feels slightly lighter than our old one, but I'm sure its OK.

You shouldnt have any issues with Samsung, they are the most intuitive in my view.