carlday1
carlday1, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have 5 years experience in repairing and maintaining small domestic appliances.
69505510

Rangemaster 90 duel fuel if their is a problem with the

Hi Rangemaster 90 duel fuel if their is a problem with the timer unit will it stop power to everything else including igniter, i have checked thermal units and both are ok

HI,

​My name is ***** ***** I will help with your question. Are you able to send me some photos of the wiring and the timer. Does the timer light up, normally the live enters the timer and then is passed out to the rest of the cooker. I suspect the timer is at fault.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The power is getting to the timer but nothing at all works on the oven not igniter, over light fans or clock

Thank you. What happens when you set a program on the timer does the oven come to life then? Is the oven gas or electric?

Do you have electric grill does that work?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No their is no display at all on thetimer either

Do you have voltage between the brown and the blue terminals?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Oven is electric job is gas, nothing electrical works but their is a supply to everything I have put a tester on both fans, ovn light, gas igniter switch all have a supply going to them
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
both brown yellow and blue have current going to them, I tried removing only the blue but still nothing

How did you test the voltage was it with a multimeter?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No with a electrician’s screwdriver with the light in it

I would suggest measuring the voltage with a meter. I have known screwdrivers and voltage detector pens give false readings because of the way they work. If you are able to test with a multimeter That would be a great help. I suspect that there is a loose neutral somewhere or the thermal cutout is open circuit but if the cut out was open circuit the ignitor should still work. Are you sure the fault is with the cooker and not the supply to the cooker?

​How is the cooker wired is it wired to a fused spur on the wall?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
supply is good,it just stopped working one day, didn’t trip rcb though, no spur just from cooker point the light on that doesn’t come on either but does on the plug side

Do you have a socket and a cooker switch on the same faceplate? Does the socket work ok?

​I think the problem may be more to do with the cooker switch on the wall than the cooker itself. The rcd will only trip on earth leakage, if the switch contacts inside the switch have broke it will not trip the RCD.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The socket works, if I put the screwdriver on the brown wire on the back of the oven where it connects it lights up, surely if their was no supply it wouldn’t?

​It is only testing the live so it could be you have a faulty neutral.

The cooker switch is a double pole switch so it isolates the live and neutral. The supply is ok to the switch if it was not the socket would not work.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
could it be the cooker side of the switch as the red light on it doesn’t come on

Y​es the neon light is connected to the cooker side of the switch so I think it is the switch that is at fault.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am going to take the plate off and join the wires to test, I have tripped the fuse box first
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Top man !!!!! Thank you very much!! 5 stars coming your way ������

Your welcome.

If you need any help in the future feel free to contact me.

Have a good evening.

Carl