nugentappraiser
nugentappraiser, Certified Appraiser
Experience:  Senior Accredited Appraiser since 1976 in all types of personal property
69702522

I have a set of 8 plates from the Danbury mint collection entitled

Customer Question

I have a set of 8 plates from the Danbury mint collection entitled "wild at heart".( of horses a limited edition each one has a unique number and title the plates are edged with 22carot gold also the plate number is XXXXX 22carot gold.Artist Lesley Harrison + certificate of authentication.
I also have one Spode plate by Susie Whitcombe of an AMERICAN QuarterHorse 3rd issue
dated 1988 plate #5279B and signed by the artist limited to 150 firing days strictly limited
edition from a painting by the artist. (the collections called the Noble Horse) from a series
of portraits of Worlds finest sporting breeds created by the artist for the collection also has a
certificate of authentication.
I also have a Gainsborough bone china plate with a number F 77 I The entire rim of the plate has a fancy decoration in 22carot gold the picture depicts 5 horses pulling a wagon
across a river with a man riding as an outrider (looks like a pioneer wagon of the old west).
I HAVE IMAGES TO SEND TOO!
Category: Appraisals
Expert:  nugentappraiser replied 2 years ago.

nugentappraiser :

Thank you for your questions. Hi, my name is Ray and I am an expert at Just Answer with 40 years experience in collectibles and antiques. The Danbury Mint set of 8 "Wild at Heart" plates is valued at about $275.00; the Spode-Whitcombe plate is valued at $18.00; and the Gainsborough plate is valued at $23.00. Since I am familiar with all the plates, I didn't feel it was necessary to send photos. These values are, of course, based on the condition and features as you described. Thanks, and please let me know if you have further questions before rating my service. Ray nugentappraiser

JACUSTOMER-4q6xt798- :

The $275.00 would not have paid for four of the plates I PAID at least £400.00 for the set plus a wall unit thrown in for free as I bought the all

JACUSTOMER-4q6xt798- :

the plates in one go and all the plates are in mint condition. your valuation of Danbury Mint is way out (reavaluate)

nugentappraiser :

Thanks for the comment. The problem is that there can be and usually is a difference between the price a buyer pays and the true market value. Why is this? Because as buyers or sellers we all have different motivations when we go shopping and that in turn results in varying price points. As a buyer, you may have a strong want or need to own/buy something and the price you are willing to pay is guided by that desire; similarly, a seller has reasons to accept or not accept an offer to buy that is different then the tagged price. Fair Market Value is legally defined as a transaction between a willing buyer and willing seller, both of whom are fully aware and neither has a compelling reason to "have" to buy or sell. In this instance involving your Danbury Mint set of "Wild at Heart", you will find many, many offers on the internet for these plates and the highest we found was $34.00/plate and down as low as $20.00/plate. The condition stated is similar to your description, "In Mint Condition! No Flaws". In short you made a fortunate purchase, but that does not represent the Fair Market Value, which is where we must look for value. I documented seven separate offers to arrive at the true market value.