Wayne
Wayne, Appraiser
Experience:  Appraiser
67223111

I wanted to try to find out more about a painting we have but

Customer Question

I wanted to try to find out more about a painting we have but the only signature is the top of Neptue's fork - is there any way I can find out about the artist? The painting is of a steam ship with 4 funnels
Many thanks - Claire
Category: Appraisals
Expert:  Wayne replied 2 years ago.

Hi Claire,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been buying and selling artwork since 1971 and I can help you with this. Please post a photo of the painting and the signature.

Thank You,

Wayne

1.

Click the paperclip icon
2.
Click the Browse icon
3.
Click the Browse button
4.
Select your file and click Open
5.
Click OK
6.
Click Insert
7.
Click Save Changes on this page
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Wayne

Many thanks for coming back to me - I am not at home at the moment however I will take a picture this evening and then send it on to you

Kindest regards - Claire

Expert:  Wayne replied 2 years ago.

Hi Claire,

I will look for them.

Thanks,

Wayne

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
Hi Wayne - sorry completely forgot with the long weekend I hope these help any info you can give much appreciated

Kind regards - Claire

Expert:  Wayne replied 2 years ago.

Hi Claire,

This is either the Titanic or sister ships, Gigantic, Lusitania, or Britanic. It is very difficult for me to tell if this is a watercolor or a print. Can you show me the back of the painting?

Thanks,

Wayne

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Wayne

Sorry did not get your response for some reason, thanks for coming back to me - this is definitely not a print - I always thought it was oil rather than water colour as you can feel the texture of the paint if you touch it (but I know nothing about painting unfortunately. My Dad brought it as part of a job lot at some action he went to about 35 years ago so we don't know anything about it. I will take a picture of the back and sent that on tomorrow - don't suppose you had any luck with the artist signature did you?

Kind regards - Claire

Expert:  Wayne replied 2 years ago.
Hi Claire,
Is this painting on board or canvas? It could be my imagination, but I think I see a signature in black to the right of the trident? Can you read the name of the ship? It is under the 4th port hole to the left, top hole.
Thanks,
Wayne
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Wayne

The painting is on canvas - oooo can you I will have a good look tonight - I can't read the name on the ship - but I will get a magnifying glass out this evening and have a good look see if I can make anything out

I will also try to take specific pictures of those 2 areas to send to you

I will come back to you tomorrow, thanks so much for your time - much appreciated

Kind regards - Claire

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Wayne

Me again - finally

I hope the following additional pics will help

There are 3 pics a closeup of the trident - I am sorry to say I cannot see any signature but you know what you are looking for - fingers crossed

I have taken a closeup of where the ship name should be but to me it is not legible - don't know if your eagle eyes can see anything?

I also have a picture of the back to help with the material - I believe it is canvas but hopefully this will confirm

I am sorry I could not use this site to upload images so am hoping that this link to my dropbox files works - if not you may need to give me an email so that I can share the folder with you

https://www.dropbox.com/home/Bedales%20Cottage

Grateful for any assistance you can give with out mystery painting and artist

Kindest regards - Claire

Expert:  Wayne replied 2 years ago.

Hi Claire,

This is a great early 1900s painting of one of Titanic's sister ships. I have been unable to identify the trident mark. I believe this was commissioned by the either the White Star Line of the ship builder. I think a conservative value is 1000-1500 Pounds as an unidentified painting. You may want to contact Bonhams, Christies and Sotheby's and get their opinion as well. I also feel that the fact that this painting is located in the UK supports my theory. I hope this has helped.

Cheers,

Wayne

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Wayne

Thanks very much for your help on this - very much appreciated and interesting - I think perhaps the ship builder as since there are no passengers on the ship I have always assumed that it was painted once the mystery ship was built and perhaps on it's way to collecting passengers for it's first voyage. I will do as you suggest and contact one of the companies to see if I can get any further but really appreciate your help!

Kind regards - Claire

Expert:  Wayne replied 2 years ago.

Hi Claire,

It was a pleasure working with you. Consider me first with any future appraisal questions, just put Wayne in the question and I will get it. Please take time to rate my service.

Wayne