Glenda B. Appraiser
Glenda B. Appraiser, Antiques and Collectibles Appraiser
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as antiques collector and 14+ yrs. as antique store owner. Member of Association of Online Appraisers and AADA.
53729464

I have a pair of Indian paintings,approx 8" x 6"(each one),mounted

I have a pair of Indian paintings,approx 8" x 6"(each one),mounted in one frame,probably from a book,one depicting scenes of men on horseback,and the other of men on black elephants. They look like oil on parchment. The detail and the colours are extraordinary. My mother was born in India,and her father was in the Indian army,so I'm sure they are original. Any idea as to their value,and where might be the best to sell them? Many thanks.

Category: Appraisals
Expert:  Glenda B. Appraiser replied 2 years ago.
Hi my name is Glenda,
Thank you for choosing us for your Appraisal needs.

Can you tell me what you mean from a book? Do you mean the pictures were taken from a book and framed?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I was told they were taken from a book,then framed as a pair,yes. I could possibly find out more from my sister,who I'm seeing later today.

Charles

Thank you, let me know what you find. They would not be a painting but a framed book page, correct?
Glenda
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Glenda,

My sister didn't know any more about the pictures,other than that they are from a book with individually hand painted pictures on each page. Probably dating from around the time of Claudius Rich,first British survey of India,and envoy to Bagdad. Hope this helps!

Hi Charles

Can you send me a picture of these?
.

It is very important to be able to see what the customer has in order to give a correct informed value!
.
Here are instructions for sending images several ways, you can choose which one best fits you , be sure it is uploaded to your computer,
.
Click the link:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert
.
Or you may use this method:
.
Go to www.imgur.com
.
click on Computer
.
Select the picture file from the box that pops up.
.
Hit open.
.
Click on Start Upload
.
And then copy the link they give you (it will look similar to this http://www.imgur.com/xxxx) and paste it here.

.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks.Glenda, I shall take some photos this weekend and send them on to you. Thanks.

Thank you Charles.

Glenda
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Glenda,

I'm hoping you got the photographs I took of the Indian paintings. I sent them as an attachment to an e-mail,in reply to one of yours.

Thanks,

Charlie

Hi Charlie

They will not reach me like that, sorry. We the appraisers are not employees of the justanswer site, we come to the site to answer questions that customers post there, so when you get an email it is from the site not me. We are not allowed personal contact with the customers who use the site. Here is how you will need to send it to me.
.

Send the picture to ,***@******.***, in the subject line put " Pictures for Glenda B in Antiques".

.

In the body of the message put , your user name
.

Make sure to send these from the same address that you registered with just answer with , so they know who you are.

.

They will forward them to me and as soon as I get them I will contact you.

Glenda
Hi Charlie
I got the pictures. These are taken from a book correct? They are prints? Do you know what age these would be can you see any dates on this. Are these prints or water colors? What size are they ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Glenda,

Glad you finally got the photographs! I don't know the age of these,but they are original oil paintings from the 19th Century. They are miniature paintings,size 8 1/2 " x 6 5/8" (217 x 168 mm). That is all I know,other than what I've said in my earlier messages.

Charlie
Are each of your pictures framed then those two framed pictures are inside a frame?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

They are mounted as a pair in a single frame.

Charles

To view the answer, you will need to be logged into the web site from your computer. you cannot respond or send messages to the expert via emails.
.
The Original Art Work, origin India - has an estimated value on the secondary retail market for an of average of $500.00-550.00 per painting,( 306.046 GBP - 336.650 GBP ) depending on the condition and where it is for sale at. For insurance purposes ( cost replacement ) the value would be 45-50% higher. These will typically sell higher in an Art Gallery, Antique Shop or Private sale compared to an auction. If you are thinking of selling, you might want to check your local Shops in the area to see what yours or one like it would sell for or has sold for, then you can decide to sell online or locally. As Art is subject in selling price to different areas across the country. Larger Metropolitan Areas bring higher prices then Smaller Cities.
.
If you plan on selling this I would list this for sell on the internet where it will have the largest shopping market. There are some great sites you can sell from.
.
You can sell on Etsy, which is a great place to sell from, you list Vintage Items, they can stay until they sell. Much like having a little store online. There is also Rubylane, which is a more upscale site where people sell more expensive items. There is also Tias and GoAntiques, which is on the same scale of Rubylane. There is Amazon Market Place, ArtFire and of course Ebay. All of these sites get you a lot of World Wide exposure and bring the best traffic. They are all great! Keep in mind if you sell to a dealer or antique or resell shop you can expect to get about 30-40% of what it is worth since they have to resell the item.
.
If you have any further questions or problem about your answer, please reply to me before deciding to leave a negative rating, which does effect my job.
.
If you would like to work with me on further questions you might have, it would be a pleasure to work with you again. All you have to do is put my name ( Glenda ) at the beginning of your question.
.
Please keep in mind I am only compensated from the site for my answer, if you rate me positively following this response by clicking one of the top two Smiles.
.

Thank you so much!
Glenda
Experience: 40+ yrs. experience as antiques collector and 14+ yrs. as antique store owner. Member of Association of Online Appraisers and AADA.