Tim in Appraisals
Tim in Appraisals, Fine Art Appraiser
Experience:  Certified Fine Art Appraiser, MA, President of ANA, CFAA,
54025905

Dear Appraiser, I have a family heirloom duplet in quite old

Dear Appraiser, I have a family heirloom duplet in quite old frames that makes me think that nobody would spend money on expensive frames if the art was of no consequence. The subject of the pictures is a small boy and his dog in oils. In one the boy and dog are asleep, in the other, the pair are awake. The stretched canvas size is 171 x 210 mm (portrait format) and the visible picture is 148 x 185 mm. The external frame size is 330 x 367. The frames have lead rosettes in the corners and plaster mouldings covered in gold leaf. The back of the frame shows wooden wedges and hand made nails. I believe that this type of frame is from a certain time period when this type of construction was in vogue. I have taken a number of photos of the duplet set and could email them to you if you are interested. The artist is unknown but there may be a clue if I dismantle the frame and get to the part of the painting under the frame. If you are unable to help, might you be able to recommend someone who may be able to shed some light on their origin? Thank you Regards ***** *****

Category: Appraisals
Expert:  Tim in Appraisals replied 2 years ago.
Good day Bruce, my name is***** am a Certified Antique and Fine Art Appraiser, how may I help you. The stretcher construction, style and technique tell us that they are some what earlier, possibly before 1820. To determine the time period and origin would take time and research, for that they do need to be looked at by someone on the ground.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you Tim,

Can you please advise me as to whom I might now approach in Australia or the UK? My feeling is that from the genre, there is an implication that they were for a child's room, perhaps a nursery. What do you think?

Rgds

Bruce Chapman

Bruce, to help you move forward I am sending the names and contact information for Auction Houses in Australia. One of them should be able to help you.
Lawsons: http://www.lawsons.com.au/, ADDRESS 8-16 Moore Street, Leichhardt NSW 2040
T 02 9566 2377 | F 02 9566 2388 | email:***@******.***.
Bonhams: http://www.bonhams.com/locations/SYD/,*****
Paddington
Sydney NSW 2021
Tel: +61 2 8412 2222
Fax: +61 2 9475 4110 ***@******.***
Check with Bonhams to see if they have an appraisal day.
Mossgreen: http://www.mossgreen.com.au/, Mossgreen Pty Ltd
926-930 High Street
Armadale VIC 3143
t +61 3 9508 8888
f +61 3 9508 8899
e***@******.***
They also have an appraisal day.
Regards,
Tim