Glenda B. Appraiser
Glenda B. Appraiser, Antiques and Collectibles Appraiser
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as antiques collector and 14+ yrs. as antique store owner. Member of Association of Online Appraisers and AADA.
53729464

Portrait of Prince Ruppert, hero of the English Revolution.

Customer Question

Portrait of Prince Ruppert, hero of the English Revolution. His mother was ***** ***** and his uncles were Charles and Henry. Artist unknown. Purported to have been painted in the mid 1600's.
Category: Appraisals
Expert:  Glenda B. Appraiser replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is Glenda,
Thank you for choosing us for your Appraisal needs.
.

It is very important to be able to see what the customer has in order to give a correct informed value!
.
Here are instructions for sending images several ways, you can choose which one best fits you , be sure it is uploaded to your computer,
.

If you do not see the blue button that states attach file at the bottom of your page here are instructions to upload images !

Click the link: for instructions on uploading images

http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert
.
Or you may use this method:
.
Go to www.imgur.com
.
click on Computer
.
Select the picture file from the box that pops up.
.
Hit open.
.
Click on Start Upload
.
And then copy the link they give you (it will look similar to this http://www.imgur.com/xxxx) and paste it here.

.
.
.
.
.

This a completely free photo hosting site, it does not cost one thing to use it.

http://www.photobucket.com/ it is very easy to use, you log in, create an account , make a user name, do not use an email address as user name , then upload your pictures, making them public, then come give me your user name, I have an account and can log into them and see them...

.

Or:Send them like this: In an Email! This can take awhile depending on how busy they are at Just answer, they do forward them to me.
.
.
Send the picture to ,***@******.***, in the subject line put " Pictures for Glenda B in Antiques".

.

In the body of the message put , your user name and name.

.

Make sure to send these from the same address that you registered with just answer with , so they know who you are. If you send from a phone the email address on the phone you use has to match the email address you used to register on the justanswer site with.

.

.

Sometimes it can take over 24hrs, depending on how busy the site is. We the appraisers are not employees of the Just Answer site, we come to the site to answer questions, we do not work there. They get photos in from customers, they then send them to the correct departments ( categories, ) then they are forwarded to the appraisers. I have no control over how fast all of this happens. I will let you know as soon as they send them to me.

Glenda
I received the pictures, thank you. What size is this. Is this signed by the artist, or do you know who the artist was?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The size of the painting is 35 by 26 without the frame.

There is no apparent signature, but we haven't wanted to take the frame off because of its age.

A little history. I acquired the painting 20 years ago. I purchased it along with another smaller painting purported to be a listed piece. The owner was british and acquired the piece 25 years before in London at auction. He was wealthy. He was the founder and owner of Econo Travel Motels. He died last year so I wasn't able to get any more information from him.

It has significance for the area that I live in (Norfolk Va.) because his mother was ***** ***** and the river running thru Norfolk is named after her. His uncles were Charles and Henry's names are ***** ***** capes in Virginia

Hello James,
.
To view the answer, you will need to be logged into the web site from your computer. If you are on a phone please make sure you are logged into the justanswer website, so you can see the complete answer. You cannot respond or send messages to the expert via emails, communication is done through this venue.
.
The Oil on Canvas of Prince Ruppert, ( unknown Artist ) has an estimated value on the current market for an average of $1***-**-****.00, depending on the condition and where it is for sale at. These will typically sell higher in an Art Gallery or Private sale compared to an auction. If you are thinking of selling, you might want to check your local shops in the area to see what yours or one like it would sell for or has sold for, then you can decide to sell online or locally.
.
Keep in mind that not all estimated values are obtained, your geographic area plays a big role in what prices can be obtained. If you plan on selling this I would list this for sell on the internet where it will have the largest shopping market. There are some great sites you can sell from.
.
You can sell on Etsy, which is a great place to sell from, you list Vintage Items, they can stay until they sell. Much like having a little store online.

There is also Rubylane, which is a more upscale site where people sell more expensive items.

There is also Tias and GoAntiques, which is on the same scale of Rubylane.

There is Amazon Market Place, ArtFire and of course Ebay. All of these sites get you a lot of World Wide exposure and bring the best traffic.

They are all great! If you sell to a dealer, antique shop or resell shop you can expect to get about 30-40% of what it is worth since they have to resell the item.
.
If you have any further questions or problem about your answer, please reply to me before deciding to leave a negative rating, which does effect my job.
.
If you would like to work with me on further questions you might have, it would be a pleasure to work with you again. All you have to do is put my name ( Glenda ) at the beginning of your question.
.
Please keep in mind I am only compensated from the site for my answer, if you rate me positively.
.
You do so immediately following this answer by clicking one of the top two Smiles, or Stars depending which one you see on your answer! Please let me know if you rate this answer, if it did not go through then I can take appropriate measures to make sure I am credited for this. Thanks for letting me know.
.
Thank you so much!
Glenda