Tim in Appraisals
Tim in Appraisals, Fine Art Appraiser
Experience:  Certified Fine Art Appraiser, MA, President of ANA, CFAA,
54025905

My mum gave me a small canvas picture of a sea view.

My mum gave me a small canvas picture of a sea view. It has E5321 and states this is an original work of art unlawful to copy on the back. Can you please let me know what I need to insure it for as mum says it is valuable and told me off for leaving it in the spare room laying on the side.
Category: Appraisals
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
I apologize as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do
you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you
like for us to close your question at this time?
Please understand it is rare for us not to be able to find the right Professional to assist our customers. We can return your good faith deposit to the original funding source.
Please let me know how you wish to proceed and again I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.
Expert:  Tim in Appraisals replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** us see what you have to find out if your Mum is right. Please send clear images of the painting. Take them close enough to see it and any writing on it, include the back and the note. You can use the paperclip icon to attach them or you can e-mail them to:***@******.*** attention Tim in appraisals.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The images are very good, thank you. The painting is newer, by newer I mean it was painted in the last quarter of the 20th century. Most likely the are used a pallet knife to lat on the thick quick applications of paint. With art the value is based on who painted it. I see a faint signature in the lower right of the canvas. Can you make out the name?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Tim

Thanks for getting back to me. I am not 100% sure but I think it says W Luck or something like that.

Mum's convinced its valuable I'm not so sure I just like the painting as it reminds me of Scotland where my old man comes from.

Again thanks for your help

Sarah

Hi Sarah, The painting appears to be by an unknown artist. As such the value is in the painting itself. I buy art because it appeals to me or in your case it reminds me of a place. You are right it does capture the feeling of the Scottish Coast. This is the type of art people hang on their walls. Art that you can look at often. If I were to see this painting in a shop I would expect to pay 200 to 250 GBP.
Tim
Tim in Appraisals, Fine Art Appraiser
Experience: Certified Fine Art Appraiser, MA, President of ANA, CFAA,