Tim in Appraisals
Tim in Appraisals, Fine Art Appraiser
Experience:  Certified Fine Art Appraiser, MA, President of ANA, CFAA,
54025905

I have a friend who has about 700 drawings by famous cut out

Customer Question

I have a friend who has about 700 drawings by famous cut out artists which he believes all to be original drawings. some in colour some black and white. He tells me they were a skip rescue from some sort of publishing house when its long defunct premises were purchased by a new company and he was asked to clear a room full of them and put them in a skip. He was also given permission to take any that he wanted. Various subjects - including Dungerness power station, famous racing yachts, ships, cars, motorbikes, outboard engines, enginedering anxd construction projects and loads more different subjects. A lot appear to have been done for well known magazines such as yachting world etc. He believes these to be original and all are signed by their artists. They all date from around the early 1950's Can you tell me if these may have any value please? thank yyou Kevin ******

Category: Appraisals
Expert:  Tim in Appraisals replied 1 year ago.
Hi Kevin, my name is***** the collection contains signed original work, yes it does have value. With a collection this large, it needs to be looked at item by item to determine the significance and value. This can be done by either an appraiser, who would have no interest in buying or selling, not a dealer who would offer to buy in order to sell them. The other option is an auction house, they would help sell the collection for a percentage. If you decide on either I can refer you to an appraiser or an auction house.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Tim,

Thanks for your reply. If you could refer me to both an appraiser and a suitable auction house for this type of art I should be very grateful.

Thank you for your help.

kevin

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Tim,

REF: 700 CUT AWAY DRAWINGS BY WELL KNOWN ARTISTS - MOST ORIGINAL DRAWINGS

Thank you for your first reply to my question confirming that these drawings do have a value.

I have replied to your email asking if I could take you up on your kind offer to put me in touch with a suitable appraiser to value these drawings and also a suitable auction house outlet to sell them but I have not received a further reply from you.

I should much appreciate hearing back from you further in this regard.

Many Thanks

Kevin *****

Hi Kevin I was off for several days. One of the best auctions for paper is:Swann Galleries, Inc.104 East 25th StreetNew York, NY 10010Phone:(###) ###-####he person to ask for is:Christine von der LinnArt, Press & Illustrated BooksPhone:(###) ###-####ext. 20E-mail:***@******.*** you need any additional assistance please ask.Tim
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Kevin you are welcome. All the best on the next step!!