Tim in Appraisals
Tim in Appraisals, Fine Art Appraiser
Experience:  Certified Fine Art Appraiser, MA, President of ANA, CFAA,
54025905

I have a WK Blacklock painting dated 1904 called A Dutch Maid. It

Customer Question

I have a WK Blacklock painting dated 1904 called A Dutch Maid.
It is 13" high and just over 10" wide.
Can you value it or how do I get it valued?
Category: Appraisals
Expert:  Tim in Appraisals replied 1 year ago.
Good day my name is***** is possible you have a work by William Kay Blacklock (1872 - 1922). Can you send images of the painting?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Tim, yes, I have taken photos but don't know how to send them. I cannot attach or paste into this reply box. Let me know. Thanks Karen

OK, I've had a go on my PC rather than the iPad, but the function doesn't appear to be working.

I can get as far as selecting file to upload, but cannot click OK. so this function isn't working.

I'll try again later.

Hi Karen, If there is a paperclip icon on the tool bar you can attach them, but they have to be downloaded from your computer. Another way is to use an outside photo-site like imgur: http://imgur.com/ (you will need to copy and paste the URL so I can get to them), or you can e-mail them to***@******.*** attention Tim in appraisals.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Tim,

I have sent 3 photos to the support email address.

1. Full picture

2. Bottom left corner where signature is

3. Information shown on back of picture, where the title is. It appears to have been exhibited at some time.

I hope this helps.

Thanks, Karen

Well done.
Is the painting under glass?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes
Then we are most likely looking at either a watercolor or a print. Please look at it with a magnifying glass. Do you see small pixels of color or do you see washes of color?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've had a good look with the magnifying glass.
I cannot see any pixels, looks more like washes of colour.
The best bit that looks washed are the windmills through the window.
The email I sent bounced back, the file was too large.
But I have sent another email just with a photo from the back of the picture.
Would it have been exhibited, if it was a print?
The name of the picture is also on the back.
The back also has very old like flat head nails holding it in.
The images you attached have come through nicely. Washes of color suggest at water color, so I will give you values based on it being a watercolor. In the art market the highest values are for original oils, with water colors at a lower value. The most recent auction results show his watercolors selling for £257 - £400.
Tim in Appraisals, Fine Art Appraiser
Experience: Certified Fine Art Appraiser, MA, President of ANA, CFAA,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Many thanks ­čĹŹ­čĆ╗
You are very welcome. Enjoy the work of a fine artist.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Tim,
Yes you answered my question and yes I left a rating.
Just for information, following your appraisal, I've decided to sell my painting.
My reason being that I am moving abroad and don't want to ruin it in a mire humid climate.
I have taken it to an auction house today and they have valued it between £700 -£1000. Although they think it will be nearer the lower amount.
It is going into a special art auction in London in November.
So I'll have to wait a while to find out what it is actually worth.
If you are interested, I will let you know.
Many thanks, Karen
Karen,thank you for the rating. That is good news, I tend to be conservative, so I am happy that they put it higher. Please let me know when it goes up. Which auction is handling the painting?