Robert S.
Robert S., Appraiser
Experience:  20+ years of experience in appraisals.
63759197

I have found a plate Ginori 53-43 with a crown. It is heavily

I have found a plate Ginori 53-43 with a crown. It is heavily patterned dark blue with dragons, angels, fishes, books etc; with a blue rim and a beige patterned border, it dips down in the middle with another border and a half naked figure holding the tail of a fish in each hand. I'm not giving a good description.
Category: Appraisals
Expert:  Robert S. replied 1 year ago.
Hi! My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help with your Ginori plate, it sounds wonderful and may be an example of their late 19th or early 20th century work, but I would need to see a photo of it and one of the entire back of the plate to be able to tell, and to give you the best possible appraisal.Also, how big is it? Once you have the photos in your computer then it's a simple matter to attach them here by clicking on the paperclip icon (located just above the text box where you are typing to me).Many thanks and wait to hear,Robert. PS. Meanwhile, please don't rate me until you get a full appraisal and a value from me. I mention this because you may get random prompts asking you to rate me before I've submitted an answer, ignore them, they are automatically generated by the site (it doesn't seem to be able to distinguish an answer from preparatory back and forth and information gathering) and don't come from me. Thanks, Robert
Expert:  Robert S. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks so much for the photos of your wonderful plate which have been forwarded to me.I'm assuming it's 10" - 12" in diameter. If any bigger please let me know. This is a beauty! It was made by the Doccia/Ginori factory in the late 19th century.It's an example of 19th century revival istoriato ("historical" or narrative works typical of the Renaissance) popular and numerous in their day (1870s - circa 1910) and a reworking of the glorious flowering of 16th century Italian majolica from the likes of Faenza, Castel Durante, Cafaggiolo, Deruta, Gubbio, Urbino or Venice and so on, in other words the scattered centers of Italian Renaissance painted pottery, which were hugely important and influential in the European decorative arts. The decoration on your plate is known as arabesque (or candelieri) ornamentation incorporating griffins and winged mythological figures and a central medallion with a wonderful female winged figure (known as a grotesque), possibly a mermaid, holding a pair of dolphins issuing from acanthus-leaf forms from which her torso emerges. Around the medallion is a lappet band, modified from Chinese decoration (a strong influence in the 15th & 16th C) which originally were stylized lotus leaves.The Doccia factory was (and still is) located in the town of Sesto Fiorentino, Tuscany, owned and operated by the Ginori family who still own it today, now called "Richard-Ginori". The name change to "Richard-Ginori" occurred in the 1896 when it merged with a larger ceramic company called Società Ceramica Richard of Milan. So your plate pre-dates that and could be as old as the 1870s.During the second quarter of the 19th century, Doccia/Ginori acquired the molds, wax models and marks of the great, though short-lived, 18th century Capo-di-Monte porcelain works in Naples (founded by the king Charles III of Naples) and hence their use of the crown you see in the mark.The 53 and 43 are the code numbers of the individual decorators that painted the plate.As for value, this is a rare plate. This example,http://i.imgur.com/CgjHHcm.jpgvery similar to yours, sold on eBay in the UK in 2013 for £124 which is a little on the low side. At a good antique auction your platter would sell in the range of $150 - £225.It therefore has a full retail value (if you saw it for sale in an antique shop) of at least £450 and is what you should insure it for.I do hope this helps!Best wishes,Robert. PS. If there's anything more I can help you with on this please don't hesitate to ask. If not, could you very kindly rate my services (with the stars or "accept" button) as this is how I get paid by JustAnswer at no extra cost to you. We can still continue to communicate here on this thread after you do.
Robert S., Appraiser
Experience: 20+ years of experience in appraisals.