Tim in Appraisals
Tim in Appraisals, Fine Art Appraiser
Experience:  Certified Fine Art Appraiser, MA, President of ANA, CFAA,
54025905

Value of an old print by L'hermitte

value of an old print by L`hermitte
Category: Appraisals
Expert:  Tim in Appraisals replied 1 year ago.
Good day, my name is ***** ***** assuming that you have a print by: Léon Augustin Lhermitte (1844 - 1925). The value any work of art is based on the standing of an artist, the type of work. Painting being the highest, then Sculpture, watercolor/drawings then prints.With prints the subject and how well it is done. Lastly the condition. Can you send a photograph of the print?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Tim,
Thanks for your response - it is signed in the bottom left corner "L. Lhermitte" so I am assuming it is him as other signatures I have seen are the same. I am not great at technology but will try to get a picture over to you in the next couple of days. It depicts a woman drawing water from a well and talking to a an agricultural worker. We are about to move house and found this in the attic after 25 years ! The print itself looks to be in good condition although the background mounting is scruffy. Not expecting a miracle but thought that I would ask as I know that some of his works are in major galleries.
Best regards
Geoff
Hi Geoff, the pictures can be sent by email to***@******.*** attention Tim in appraisals. Does the print have any color?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Tim, No colour, looks like the original may have been done in charcoal.
Best
geoff
Geoff, it is most likely an etching. Which is a process where the artist draws on a prepared metal plate usually copper. Acid eats into the exposed lines to deepen the lines. The plate is then inked and press on to paper. There should be an indentation around the edge of the image. This creates a black and white print that resembles a charcoal drawing. Etchings by the artist have sold art at auction for: £110 for 11 3/8 in x 8 1/2 in prints and £404 a larger print 39 in x 49 in.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Tim, This one is 14 6/8 inches x 10 6/8. It also has an additional illustration ( 2 inch x 6/8inch ) on the card below the print. Looks like a couple of fish !! I will get you a picture and thanks for the assessment.
Best regards
Geoff
Please send me pictures of the piece. You can insert them into this dialogue or email them to:***@******.*** attention Tim in appraisals.
Geoff
You pictures came today. Your print is toward the lower end £110.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Tim
Thanks - how should I sell it ? - EBay ?
Best regards
Geoff
Yes ebay might be the best option.
Tim in Appraisals, Fine Art Appraiser
Experience: Certified Fine Art Appraiser, MA, President of ANA, CFAA,