rarewares
rarewares, Other
Experience:  Appraiser
68269273

Good evening, I have a 1901 Aldin print, of a scene

Good evening, I have a 1901 Cecil Aldin print, of a scene at the races, that I inherited a number of years ago. I'm assuming it's a printer not an original. It appears to be becoming damaged by something at the top of the picture, and the art work is starting to disappear.
I wonder if it is possible to get it restored, but also whether it is financially practical and what the approximate value of the artwork would be.
Ewan
Category: Appraisals
Expert:  rarewares replied 1 year ago.
Hello,Please do add a photo of the piece, the damage, the signature, and any marks or labels on the back of the frame. You can do this by using the Add Files feature on your screen.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Many thanks for your reply I shall add some pictures of the painting/print. I'm just working out how to.
Ewan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Currently unable to find how to attach photos, could you please advise.
Expert:  rarewares replied 1 year ago.
There should be the words Add Files on your screen. If not, then you can email the pictures to***@******.*** and be sure to put 'for rarewares in antiques' in the subject line of the email so that they will forward to me. This way takes a bit longer, so thank you in advance for your patience.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still unable to attach files, so have sent three photos attached to an email.
Ewan
Expert:  rarewares replied 1 year ago.
Ewan,Good Monday morning! The photos were in my email this morning. This is indeed a print of a Cecil Aldin illustration. This piece is entitled The Finish-the Bluemarket Races and was published by Lawrence Bullen Publishers in the early 1900's. This piece in great condition sells for about L90, and I think yours actually has had the title chopped from the bottom for framing plus it has this water or moisture damage and fading from sun exposure, so it is currently worth about L50. Prints are not usually able to be restored very well with this kind of damage and I think that the expense would be prohibitive.I do hope this information has helped you make a decision. Since this is a print, you might consider looking for another (one that has the title on the bottom) in better condition if this piece has a special sentimental value to you. These do pop up now and then in print and map shops in the UK and online and now you know exactly what to look for.It is important for you to click the stars after you have read my answer as this is how the site decides to compensate me for my knowledge.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Really useful thank you.

The prices you mention for a value came through as L90 and L50, can I just clarify what the values would be?

Expert:  rarewares replied 1 year ago.
I do not have UK monetary symbols on my keyboard, my apologies. That is 90 British pounds and 50 British pounds. I can convert those to any currency you would like. I see that you are in the UK, so I thought pounds would be your currency.
rarewares, Other
Experience: Appraiser