Robert S.
Robert S., Appraiser
Experience:  20+ years of experience in appraisals.
63759197

This is 11cm in height, my daughter seems to think it is

This is 11cm in height, my daughter seems to think it is worth something.
Do you know?
Category: Appraisals
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Thank you for coming to JustAnswer.Sorry for the delay and thank you for your patience. My name is Michael. I will be helping you with your question today. Please let me know if there as any additional information that you feel might be pertinent to your question. If I don't hear back from you, I'll provide the best answer I can based on the information you've given so far. You will still be able to reply with additional information or questions at any point during our conversation, and I'll revise the my answer accordingly.
I thought I recognized this, but I'm not able to identify it. I will opt out to allow others to assist. Mike
Expert:  Robert S. replied 1 year ago.
Hi!This is Robert S. here and I would be happy to help with your figurine. And yes! Your daughter is right, it is indeed "worth something". This is a rare old survivor and much prized by collectors.What you have is a polychrome delftware cow, dating to around 1770, made in Holland, a much celebrated form made in the city of Delft from the mid-1600s to the present day.The cow is decorated in a floral design based on the festival of the 'Guild Ox' when a fatted ox or cow was paraded through town by the Butcher's Guild on Shrove Tuesday, the day before Ash Wednesday and the beginning of Lent. It was usually accompanied by a drummer and other musicians and adorned with garlands of flowers around its neck and back and often its horns would be gilded.These figures are made with a soft white earthenware that is easily damaged and very few survive the perils of moving, dusting and gravity.This particular K mark underlined with a squiggle appears on page 116 of William Chaffers' Marks and Monograms on Pottery and Porcelain, It is unattributed but recorded in 1770 as a Delft potter's mark and one of the hundreds of Delft decorator marks that appear from that time, almost none of them linked to a known name.As for value, this example, smaller than yours and with damaged horns, but probably the same date, sold at auction for £280 which is probably representative.I would give yours an auction value in the range of £550 - £800.It therefore has a full retail or replacement value of £1600 and is what you should insure it for.I do hope this helps!Best wishes,Robert S. PS. If there's anything more I can help you with on this, please don't hesitate to ask. If not, could you very kindly rate my services (with the stars or "accept" button) as this is how I get paid by JustAnswer at no extra cost to you. We can still continue to communicate here on this thread after you do. And if you have another item you'd like to ask me about, just start a new Question and put "For Robert S....." in the subject line. Thanks, R.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you I have many more things like this I wil get back to you ASAP many thanks Victorua
Expert:  Robert S. replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome.
Look forward to helping you with them!
Best wishes,
Robert
Robert S., Appraiser
Experience: 20+ years of experience in appraisals.