Rarewares
Rarewares, Other
Experience:  Appraiser
68269273

I have 2 small paintings W M Chase 1904 of seaside scenes

Hi I have 2 small paintings W M Chase 1904 of seaside scenes but I do not think they are by the artist as the signature is not the same on other paintings I have seen. Could this be the work of one of his students and if so has it any value ?
Category: Appraisals
Expert:  Rarewares replied 1 year ago.
Hello,My name is ***** ***** I would love to help. The next step would be for me to see pictures of the paintings, signatures and back of painting so that I can get visual clues of the date, artist, framing construction and value. Use the Add Files feature on your screen to add pictures.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi. Sorry for late reply but please see the photos attached
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi again photos of the back and signature close up its taken by a window so sorry for light beaming in.
Regards ***** ***** you. Mandy
Expert:  Rarewares replied 1 year ago.
You are correct, the signature does not match any of his known signatures. His signature did have many versions over the years. While for a period of time, his last name can be found in cursive, the W and M do not match any of his known signatures.This painting does match his timeline, however. He taught classes on Long Island stating in 1891 and this lasted for 12 summers. This scene would be on Long Island, New York painted on one of his canvases sent/bought from Paris. This would have been painted by one of his students, yes, in the year 1900. Each painting has a value of $800 to $1000 in value. It is important for you to click the stars after you have read this answer.