Robert S.
Robert S., Appraiser
Experience:  20+ years of experience in appraisals.
63759197

I am looking at a small oil painting (approx. 16"x14") signed

I am looking at a small oil painting (approx. 16"x14") signed Raoul Millais, " The Two Year Old" bought in New Bond St in 1936. What might it be worth?
Category: Appraisals
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The picture shows 2 horses galloping and I think is oil on board. It is numbered on the back 41 in original frame and good condition apart from some paper strips between board and frame coming loose at the back
Expert:  Robert S. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Michael,My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help with your Raoul Millais.Could you very kindly attach a photo of the painting. The composition, degree of completion and artistic merit of these equestrian paintings by this artist are essential to see in order to give you the most accurate value range.Many thanks,Robert. PS. Once you have the photos in your computer (if you are using a smart phone camera, just email them to yourself) it's then a simple matter to attach them. Just click on the paperclip icon, located above the text box where you are typing to me. If there's no paperclip, click on the "Add files" tab.If you get stuck go here for help.http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-0
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I sadly left the house on Exmoor 20 minutes ago and am heading back to Hampshire so I cannot submit a photograph. If you are unable to answer without it, even a rough guide, could I have my money back please. I will not b back at the house for some time as I am going to France for 10 days
Expert:  Robert S. replied 1 year ago.
Okay, no problem, I quite understand. I'd prefer not to guess sight unseen as there's such a range for this artist's work. If you like we can pick this up again when you get back from France. Your question remains open for as long as you wish it to and you won't be charged anything unless or until you get an answer you're happy with.Hope this makes sense,Best wishes,Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There was a need for some urgency. I would be happy with a ball park idea of what this artist may be worth, or not worth and call it a day. Otherwise this seems very like a 'come on' and I would prefer to have my money back
Expert:  Robert S. replied 1 year ago.
I'd be glad to give you a quick ball park figure.Raoul Millais (1909-1999) is a well listed British artist, grandson of the famous John Everett Millais, founder of the Pre-Raphaelite movement and Ophelia fame. He also had a well known artist father, Johnny Millais, a specialist in bird and botanical illustration, so there are a lot of exceptional artistic genes behind Raoul's eye and hand. He's best known for these equestrian subjects, a lot of horse portraits.Prices for his work are considered 'stable', neither obviously declining or increasing and horses remain as popular as ever as a subject matter so you'll have no problem finding a buyer, should you ever wish to sell.Looking at approximate comparables in the salesrooms:This 9½" x 12" oil on canvas "Mares & Foals" sold at auction in 2009 for £2,375This small 8" x 9¾" painting called "The Grey Arab" sold at Christies in 2007 for £4,000This 20" x 24" oil on canvas, "Taming Stallions" sold in 2010 for £4,750.This 19½" x 23½" oil on canvas "Wild Horses" sold at Dreweatt's & Bloomsbury, Bristol, in 2010 for £5,500.So depending on the drama and narrative etc., of your pair of 16"x14" gallopers, I would give it an auction estimate in the range of £3,500 - $5,500. It therefore has a full retail (or gallery) value of at least £10,000. This is also the replacement value for insurance purposes.I do hope this helps,Best wishes,Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dear *****,
Thank you that is just what I wanted. It is enough for my purposes. It is a pleasing picture, well executed
with best wishes
***** *****on
Expert:  Robert S. replied 1 year ago.
You're most welcome, glad to have helped!Very tantalizing not to be able to see it, I'm sure it's quite lovely.Best wishes,Robert
Robert S., Appraiser
Experience: 20+ years of experience in appraisals.