Rarewares
Rarewares, Other
Experience:  Appraiser
68269273

I have a painting oil on canvas and the signature in the right

I have a painting oil on canvas and the signature in the right hand corner is appel. Could this painting be by the artist Karel Appel? Thanks Anna.
Category: Appraisals
Expert:  Rarewares replied 1 year ago.
Hello,My name is ***** ***** I would love to help.There were several artists with the name Appel, so I need to see pictures for a signature and style match.The next step would be for me to see pictures of the painting, signature and back (to see canvas/framing and any writing there).Use the Add Files feature on your screen to add pictures (one at a time) and I will be able to complete my answer, thank you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
These are five pictures I have taken of the painting. Thanks.
Expert:  Rarewares replied 1 year ago.
Carl Appel was a German artist that lived in New York.He had two styles, wild animal realist art and abstract figurative painting.The signature does match with lower case a and upper case L at the end.This painting would have a value of $10,000 to $12,000USD or $7000GBP to $8300GBP.It is important for you to click the stars after you have read this answer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks for finding information about the artist Appel, but i found this picture on a book cover about
Karel Appel a dutch artist and it sort of matches the painting i have what do you think? Anna
Expert:  Rarewares replied 1 year ago.
You are correct, actually we both are. When looking at the two listings in the database, they over lapped them and had the signature I showed you under a Carl and Karel instead of just Karel along with some of his paintings. Now that I look at Karel Appel, there is the same signature with more of his work in the impasto style like your piece. This Karel Appel (1921-2006,Switzerland, Italy, France, New York) has a long list of 152 pages of work.As a matter of fact, one is coming up for sale soon in Japan and the estimate is 13,350 to 17,800usd. The prices have gone as high as 1,000,000 in the past with the average for pieces like yours being $18,000 to $20000USD which is 12,500GBP to 13,893GBP.Do click the stars to accept my answer.