Robert S.
Robert S., Appraiser
Experience:  20+ years of experience in appraisals.
63759197

Robert I have a Gor***** *****ndsey painting I was wondering

Hi Robert I have a Gor***** *****ndsey painting I was wondering on Its Value
Category: Appraisals
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's approx 28" x 22" including origional frame.. purchased from art dealer in cumbria, have origional certificate.
Cottage scene with stream.
Expert:  Robert S. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Gwen,This is Robert here, thanks for requesting me, I would be happy to help with your Gor***** *****ndsey picture.Could you very kindly attach a photo. I can work without, if need be, but will be able to give you a more accurate value range if I can see it.Many thanks and wait to hear,Robert PS. Once you have the photos in your computer (if you are using a smart phone camera, just email them to yourself) it's then a simple matter to attach them. Just click on the paperclip icon, located above the text box where you are typing to me. If there's no paperclip, click on the "Add files" tab.If you get stuck go here for help.http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-0
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have a picture on my computer Robert, and as I am in my shop I will have to do it this evening but if you could give me a ball park estimate I would be grateful.
Expert:  Robert S. replied 1 year ago.
No problem, I can work sight unseen, then if you can manage a photo later I'll adjust accordingly, if need be.Gor***** *****ndsay (British 1936 - 2005) was a late 20th century artist, largely self taught, who perpetuated a traditional Victorian romantic and narrative style in his painting that has certainly made him salable to a particular audience. He began working on these particular pastoral compositions from the late 1970s which is probably when yours dates to.Looking at comparables, this 18" x 24" (a little smaller than yours) landscape with cottage sold last year at auction for £220 which is on the low side.And this example, the same canvas size as yours, sold for £245.So I would give yours an auction estimate of £225 - £350. It would therefore have a full retail value (for sale in a gallery) of at least £700. This is also the replacement value for insurance purposes.I do hope this is helpful!Best wishes,Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have added two files where it says at the bottom of this page, My picture is more like 38" x 32" a while since I looked in storage. I hope this works.
Many thanks Robert
Expert:  Robert S. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Gwen,Thanks for the photos, that helps a lot.This is a charming composition, very much in the style of Helen Allingham's idyllic country cottages which remain eternally popular.It's also a lot bigger than the comparables I selected.I would give this painting an auction value of £400 - £600.Full retail/insurance value: £1200.I'm so glad you sent me the photo and measurements, I feel much better I've given you a relevant and accurate appraisal now. It just shows one the hazards of doing it sight unseen.Hope this helps!Best wishes,Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi RobertThank you for you informative valuation, I can now adjust my insurance!
Best Wishes
Gwen