rarewares
rarewares, Other
Experience:  Appraiser
68269273

I have a smokers table/pedestal/stand inherited from my great

Customer Question

I have a smokers table/pedestal/stand inherited from my great grandfather.
It has drawer and a pot recess at base, with central glass lined pipe holder to top with what I think must be glass lined match holders x2 one is missing the glass.
Category: Appraisals
Expert:  rarewares replied 7 months ago.
Hello,My name isCustomerand I would love to help.The next step would be for me to see pictures of the item and any marks on the bottom.Use the Add Files feature on your screen to add pictures (one at a time) and I will be able to complete my answer, thank you!
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Have added photos as requested. It has another knob on the front left, but no cutter or anything attached.
There is a label underneath but too faded to read but have included in photo 4.
kind regards
Pamela
What a wonderful piece.This is an English smoker's table made circa 1940-60 based on the style, type of graduated stain in the wood, a rabbited details (indicates a machined process).The recessed area on the bottom stretchers is for the placement of a porcelain or brass spittoon,possibly a nickel finish one came with the table to match the bits above.This is definitely a European piece as the American smoking stands were more convertible andportable as side tables and did not enjoy all of the accoutrements that this one has. American tables had a copper lined door that served as a humidor, this one seems to be just for smoking pipes and cigars.This one has some condition issues. I wish I could read more of the tag, because that would tell more of the story.This table has a current value of $120.00 to $150 Us dollars or about 100GBP.It is important for you to click the stars after you have read this answer.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I thought it must be slightly earlier than that, as I was born in 1946 and I remember him using it as a child. I will see if I can read more of the label.
If it was made in 1940, for example, the stand would have beenaround for 6 years already when you were born. So, by the timeyou were five or six "as a child" that would be 1952 and the standwould have been his for 12 years. This all still fits into the timelineof the date of the stand and your memory of it.Please do click the stars to accept my answer (and my math).
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Have finally managed to read the label. It says
Geo. J. Lippert Table Co. Limited
Kitchener Ontario.
Number Finish134 this seem to be blankI also found the site for the factory, photo attached apparently raised to the ground in 1960 found on http://vitacollections.ca/kpl-gsr/45884/commentsThe Lippert factory building at 222 Louisa stood until the 50's. By 1960, the building had been razed and the northwestern part of the the empty lands became the olde "Northward" playground with a winter skating rink (and shed).Not sure if this is the actual location, because Berlin Ontario, came up on the chat.This is also very interesting, as my Uncle believed my Great Grand Father went to Canada in his youth.I await further comments in due course.Pamela
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
You didn't Respond to my previous comment, regarding the label.
Expert:  rarewares replied 6 months ago.
Yes, the pictures are here. I will have to opt out as the signature is not familiar to me. The next expert will see the photos and our conversation.
Sorry, my screen jumped and I opted out and answered on the wrong question.
This Lippert Canada table still fits within the timeline that we were discussing earlier, where it could have been made in 1940 by this company.It is great that you found all of that information on the company after being able to read the label!DO click the stars to accept my answer, thanks!