Robert S.
Robert S., Appraiser
Experience:  20+ years of experience in appraisals.
63759197

Of Robert S Antiques researcherPlease

Customer Question

for Attention of Robert S Antiques researcherPlease proceed with rest of the items please Start with the 2 Bamboo carvings and work through the restno pressure only for own interest you have card to cover cost in meantime i will photograph a few more itemsthanks william
Category: Appraisals
Expert:  Robert S. replied 10 months ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** letting you know I got your question.

Please go ahead and add photos of the bamboo carvings.

I'll do those and the Belleek pink shell bowl.

Please also add the dimensions of these two.

Many thanks,
Robert

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thanks RobertI dont know what happens to my photos I have sent you a lot and I will try again If they go through please carry on and value at your convenience start with Bamboo please The silver boat was only one of 5 made The glass plates are one of 10 plates i have I dont know what they are I will photograph some more items in meantime If you want credit card no again just advise regards William

Sorry you are having trouble attaching the photos, I'm not sure why that is.

It helps if you are logged in to the JustAnswer site (rather than operating from your email) that way you can attach the images to the text box where you are typing to me on this thread. You should see a paperclip icon, top left of the text box, which if you click will pull up the picture files in your computer for you to select which ones you want to attach. Hope this makes sense!

If you send them by email, there's only one address that gets to me:

*****@******.***

Mark the email for my attention, Robert S. in the Antiques category otherwise they won't know who to send it to. As I may have mentioned, I work "on" rather than "for" JustAnswer as an independent agent so all emails have to go through a third party to protect everyone's privacy. It may take up to 24 hours, but I'll let you know as soon as I see it this end.

Best wishes,
Robert

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hello RobertI trust you got the 14 photos today please advise if not i will send again to the address you just mentionedthanks william

Thanks! Did not receive them yet, but will let you know when I do.

Please make sure you use the *****@******.***

email address otherwise they disappear!

Best wishes,
Robert

Hi William,

I'll have appraisals for the Belleek tray and the blue willow vase (is it a vase? I can't see its top as it's out of the frame of your photo) marked "Semi China".

Can you very kindly give me the dimensions of these two?

Many thanks,

Robert

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thanks for your e mail
The bowl is 7 inches in circumference and 5 1/4 inches in high to top of knobregards William

Hi William,

Thanks for the measurements of the bowl. I think we are at cross purposes, but not to worry I've sorted it out, I think. You gave me measurements for the Chinese covered bowl and this appraisal is for the blue bowl marked "Semi China" England. Your photo just shows the side (and another of the bottom) but it should look like this one? (if you click on the blue letters it will automatically bring up the picture) And is about 8" across and 3.75" high? If very different, please let me know.

(1) Willow fruit bowl,

http://f01.justanswer.com.s3.amazonaws.com/SAnEjCvY/P1010076.JPG

This is a nice example of an English Staffordshire blue transferware bowl in the timeless and ever-popular "Willow Pattern" allegedly designed by Thomas Minton in about 1780, adapting for English tastes his own interpretation of what a Chinese pattern should look like.

Josiah Spode is attributed with producing the first printed versions of the "Willow pattern" in the 1790s. The composition is loosely based on a Chinese fairytale that was supposed to have inspired Shakespeare's Romeo & Juliet. The swallows (not doves -my own minor correction to the story in the following link) flying in the sky above the bridge are the reincarnated souls of the two star-crossed lovers.

Here's the full willow pattern story.

http://www.thepotteries.org/patterns/willow_patt.html

Blue Willow became enormously popular, particularly because of the romantic story that was associated with it and every English pottery produced their own version of it through the years.

This one marked with the trade name "Semi China" in a blue double-lined lozenge belongs to Ridgways of Shelton, Stoke-on-Trent, and dates to the first quarter of the 20th century. The backstamp has not transferred fully. It should look like this (if you click on the "this" it will pull up a picture of the mark)

As for value, this bowl would have a full retail price (if you saw it for sale in an antique store) of €175. This is also the replacement value for insurance purposes.

(2) Belleek clam shell tray (roughly 15'" x 14")

http://f01.justanswer.com.s3.amazonaws.com/8rEQy2K5/P1010067.JPG

This beautiful porcelain tray has not travelled very far, or if it has, it's returned home close to where it started life. It was made at the Belleek porcelain factory in Co Fermanagh, Ireland's preeminent china maker for well over a century and a half, and still going strong.

The pattern is known as "Tridacna" from the scientific name for the giant clam upon which the shape is loosely modeled.

The mark is what's known as Belleek's "Second Black Mark" a logo they used from 1891 - 1926, so this piece is rising 100 years old or more.

This tray is a bit of a 'holy grail' for Belleek collectors as it goes with a cabaret tea service in the same pattern and so often the tray is missing or damaged.

Yours has a full retail/replacement/insurance value of €2000.

I do hope this helps!

Best wishes,

Robert.

PS If you rate me by clicking on the stars (which is how JustAnswer pays me -at no extra cost to you) and open another question, I'll continue with the next two. Thanks. R

Robert S., Appraiser
Experience: 20+ years of experience in appraisals.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hello RobertWill you carry on with rest of valuations pleasethanks William
Expert:  Robert S. replied 9 months ago.

Hi William,

Please go ahead and open a new question and I'll be able to carry on with the valuations for you.

Put "For Robert Stoney.........." in the subject line and it will be sure to get to me.

Many thanks,
Robert