Rarewares
Rarewares, Other
Experience:  Appraiser
68269273

I have a painting by the artist Charles Bentley dated 1823,

Customer Question

i have a painting by the artist Charles Bentley dated 1823, I don't know the title but I think it is called taking on the pilot or collecting the pilot, I have a photo of it if you need me to send that to you
Category: Appraisals
Expert:  Rarewares replied 1 year ago.
Hello,My name isCustomerand I would love to help. The next step would be for me to see pictures of the painting,signature and back of painting so that I can get visual clues of the date, artist, framing construction and value.Use the Add Files feature on your screen to add pictures one at a time.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
not sure that I have much detail apart from this picture
Expert:  Rarewares replied 1 year ago.
Do you know if there are any labels or writing on the back of the frame?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
none that I can see
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you still there?
Expert:  Rarewares replied 1 year ago.
Charles Bentley (1806-1854) was a UK artist known for watercolor seascape and fishing scenes.The flags flying on the troubled ship are Dutch, a ship that was common to see in the Isle of Wight and St Michaels ports.He also painted scenes off the Dutch coasts, so it could also be based there.This piece, circa 1823, has a current value of $5000.00USD based on recent sales of his work in this genre.I do not see a signature, so I would suggest taking the piece to an art auction house to help determine that it is an original and not a print. Only a physical examination can determine this.It is important for you to click the stars after you have read this answer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you that's very helpful
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are you still there
Expert:  Rarewares replied 1 year ago.
You are so welcome.Thank you for the positive rating!If you have another item, just start a new question and put 'forCustomer#39; in the beginning to get me again.I specialize in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, pocket watches, jewelry and just about everything else.You never know what you might have!