Rarewares
Rarewares, Other
Experience:  Appraiser
68269273

Few years ago I have bought a painting in a market in London

Hi there,
Few years ago I have bought a painting in a market in London UK and never really thought about who the painter was.
Only recently I have started doing some research and I got to think more and more that it could be by Oscar Dominguez.
It seems to be from 1937. The signature only says Oscar but I found out that Dominguez used to sign that way, like in an early Self Portrait from 1926 I believe.
I have tried to find an email address for Ana Vazquez de Parga as she is an expert of Dominguez's work, but I couldn't find it anywhere.
Another option would be Oscar Cahen, Canadian artist from the same period, but for few reasons I see less resemblances.
Category: Appraisals
Expert:  Rarewares replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I would love to help. The next step would be for me to see pictures of the painting,
signature and any labels on the back of the framing.
Use the Add Files feature on your screen to add pictures one at a time.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here they are
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did you receive the files ok?
Expert:  Rarewares replied 1 year ago.

This piece does look to be a piece by Oscar Dominguez Palazon (1906-1957, Spain, France)

an artist known for surrealist and cubist art. The style matches and while most of his

work was signed Dominguez, you are correct that earlier pieces did have just the name Oscar as a signature.

This piece dated 1937 or 1939 (?) would have a value of $15,000 to $20,000USD (15,400GBP), possibly more if placed in the right auction.

It is important for you to click the stars after you have read this answer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What would you suggest I do then? Because I guess it would need to be validated before it can be considered for an auction.
I have used the website ValueMyStuff but they weren't of much help and just said it "could be" by Oscar Cahen because he was in the UK around 1937 and valued the piece at £1500 as a decorative piece.
But I really think the style is closer to Dominguez and I've also found out that he took part to some exhibitions in the UK around that time.
I know that the only expert on his work is Ana Vazquez de Parga but I can't find any way to get in touch with her and none of the museums that expose his work have replied to my emails.
I really don't know what to do in these cases and how to get it valued and certified professionally...
Expert:  Rarewares replied 1 year ago.

You should go to invaluable.com or liveauctioneers.com and search their directory for an auction house near you that specializes in fine art.

Set up a day to bring the piece in and have them take a look at it with the pretense that you would be consigning for sale. You are not obligated

to consign to them, but it is a good way to get a 'free' verbal appraisal by an expert.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But that would still only give me a "verbal" appraisal and not a real validation or certification that says Yes this is a Dominguez's piece etc...
Expert:  Rarewares replied 1 year ago.

A written, formal appraisal will require you to find an art appraisal expert

in your city (or near you) where they can physically examine and research the piece.

You can accomplish this by using Google to search the term "art appraiser in (your next largest city)"

and make some initial phone calls that way to inquire about pricing. In the US, it would cost $175

per hour for this type of appraisal, but I am not sure of how that compares to UK rates for the same service.

The result would give you a formal, written appraisal that can travel with the painting as long as you own it and would serve as

authenticity for insurance that you might want to buy for the piece.

I hope that helps!

Do click the stars for me, thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Great, thank you, ***** *****!!